TurboTax AnswerXchange Home




    Unfortunately not necessarily. I called last year and was told I had no offsets but owed back federal taxes. They deducted those and gave me the smidgen remaining. Waiting to see what kind of surprises they have in store for me this year.  

    • patsfan1917   Was that your only option, because I have an offset from back taxes and was wondering if I can make an arrangment to avoid only receiving a smidgen of my refund because I am financially in need of the$$$. Please respond
    • Unfortunately for me that was my only option. They will automatically take what you owe and give you the remaining balance. If you have a state refund coming watch that one too. They took my state last year and it was not needed. Due to a move I did not receive the offset notice and realized this year federal owed me that state money back. To my surprise when I checked online transcripts it says they are sending me that state refund back this year as well. I wish you luck. I know how frustrating this is. I am still paying off back state taxes this year but will finally be done owing. My issue all stemmed from an audit in 2010 and it has taken the last 3 years to straighten it out. Good Luck.
    • Thanks, I never received the offset letter because my residence has changed since last year. On the IRS.gov site my refund shows that the back taxes has been taken it. I have no clue for what other than it was my 2011 return, which is when I started doing my own taxes through turbotax.I hate this happened to me, but I appreciate you sharing your experience.
    • Go online and look at your transcripts for those years. You will see what they applied. That's how I found my credit for overpayment. They don't show it on 2013 but it showed on the account transcript from 2010. Check all your transcripts for the past 3 years and you should find it.
    • @patsfan1917 how long of a delay did owing federal cause you?
    • none whatsoever. I had an offset last year and no delay either. hope this helps you.
    • what is the tax offset phone number, to check if I'm on it?
    • 800) 304-3107
    • keep in mind mine did not show up as I had a FEDERAL tax debt. Others will show. hth
    Contribute an answer

    People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

    1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

    Similar questions other people found helpful: