TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Meal expenses covered by department of transportation Rules.

how much meal expenses can I claim if I am an on the road commercial truck driver.

• can I claim over night expense when am out of town

The amount is $59/day overnight ($65 in Alaska or Hawaii).  Eighty percent is deductible, compared to 50% for non-DOT travel.

• What if the driver already receives 0.10 cents per mile for per diem, can they still deduct the $59 a day for meals
  • He can, but he has to report any reimbursement that he receives such as the $.10/mile.  The result will be that his deduction will be the net.
  • First you would count the number of days out then multiply by $59. If that number is more than the .10 per mile you earned (which it should be 99 percent of the time) you would subtract what you were paid from the $59Xdays out. The difference is what you can plug in to the software and deduct.
  • We're do I go to add the amount owed to me in the turbo tax form

We're do I go to add the amount owed to me in the turbo tax form

The deduction is a miscellaneous itemized deduction if you are an employee.  They are claimed under the deductions and credit tab for employment related expenses, them job related expenses. Make sure you answer the question that asks if you are subject to the DOT Hours of Service rules.

Miscellaneous itemized deductions are only available if you qualify to itemize and only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  Example:  If your AGI is $50,000, only miscellaneous deductions over $1,000 are deductible.  Because of this, many items deductible as miscellaneous itemized deductions have no tax value because the taxpayer doesn't itemize, or because they are lost in the 2% of adjusted gross income limitation.  income limitation. 

Similar questions other people found helpful: