TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

delete state return

Hi Tmwhalen,

Thank you for contacting TurboTax. I have included some steps to try & help you delete your state return.

Now, you can delete TurboTax Online returns that you have paid for, as long as the return's e-filing status isn't accepted or pending.

After you finish preparing your state return in TurboTax Online, you will have the opportunity to delete your state return on the We’ve Finished Your [State] Return screen, which appears right before we review your state return for errors.

If you missed that screen, or you later change your mind, here’s an alternate way to delete your TurboTax Online state return:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and:
    2. Click State Taxes and Continue.

or

Click 2013 TAX INFO, scroll down to A few final things and click Add a state.

3. In the Action column, click the Delete link next to the state you want to remove.

If you don't see this link, it's because your return's e-file status is pending or accepted. Check your e-file status.

1. Click Yes to confirm deletion of your state return .

You can now add another state or start over with a new state return by clicking Add Another State.

Related Information:

How do I start over in TurboTax Online?

Can I delete my tax return in TurboTax Online?

I hope this helps.

~Roxi~

tmwhalen,

There is a variety of flavors of TurboTax each has their own unique way to delete a State.  Below you will find sections on each of the main types of TurboTax. 

********************************

How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Mac software?

Clearing the info in your state return does not remove your TurboTax state software.

1. Open your return in TurboTax.
      2. From the TurboTax File menu, choose Remove [state name] Data.
      3. Click Remove to confirm.
      4. To start over, click the State Taxes tab, and then click Continue.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN86185

********************************
      How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software?
      1. Open your return in TurboTax.
      2. Switch to Forms Mode by clicking the Forms icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
      3. From the File menu, choose Remove State Return.
      4. Select the state return you want to delete, and then click Remove. Click Yes to confirm.
      5. To start over with your state return, click the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right corner, and then click the State Taxes tab to get back to the state section.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN86184

********************************

How do I delete my state in TurboTax Online?

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and:
        • Click State Taxes and Continue.

or

• Click 2013 TAX INFO, scroll down to A few final things and click Add a state.
      2. In the Action column, click the Delete link next to the state you want to remove.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/GEN12350

********************************
        How to delete your state in TurboTax for iPad
        To delete your TurboTax for iPad state return:
        1. Proceed through the File area until you are asked to pay.
        2. Tap Pay Now.
        3. This will open the Here's a summary of what you're getting screen, which lists the fees for each item.
        4. Tap Delete next to the state you want to remove.
        5. When asked to confirm, tap I Still Want to Delete, and then click Continue on the next screen.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/HOW20876

********************************

I hope that this helps answer your question.
        Thanks,
                 ---Thomas

Similar questions other people found helpful: