TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

File a 1099-misc for subcontractor

I need to file a 1099-misc for a subcontractor. Can I do this with turbotax or do I need another service?

• 3 Questions: What happens when you e-file the 1099 forms? Are the 1099 misc forms filed separately from the tax return? Can I mail the printed forms to the payees?
  • The pertinent data goes to the IRS, when you e-file the 1099 forms [If you don't e-file, you will need to also prepare a transmittal form, 1096, and mail the Form 1096 and the relevant 1099 forms to IRS]
    Yes, the 1099 series of forms are separate from your income tax return.
    Yes, you can and should mail the printed forms to the payees, for their records.
  • Thank you. For Turbo Tax online, where do I deduct expenses for paying others via 1099-misc?
  • It would depend on the nature of the expense.

For example, if you issued a 1099-MISC to a person for commissions, your expense would be "Commissions"; if it was issued to an attorney for legal advice, the expense would be "Professional Fees" or " Legal fees", etc.

Dear Jeremiah:

You could use TurboTax Quick Employer Forms, which  is an online program that will enable you to issue the 1099-MISC and also e-file the forms with the IRS. The program is not a stand alone program  but is available for free for users of TurboTax Home & Business and TurboTax Business programs, and needs to be accessed through any of those programs for set up and validation.

If your business entity is a proprietorship or a single member LLC, you would need to report it’s transactions on Schedule C, which will need TurboTax Home and Business.

If your entity is any other type of business entity, you will need to use TurboTax Business.

Thanks for using TurboTax.

TurboTax Dalip, CPA

• What if I purchased the desktop version of TurboTax instead of the Online version.  How do I get TurboTax Quick Employer Forms to work?  

There doesn't seem to be an option to enter my license number from my application.
  • If you are using TurboTax Home and Business Desktop product, follow these steps
    1. Click on "Start a New Return"
    2. The next screen prompts you to indicate whether you would like to "Start a new individual tax return" or "Prepare W-2s and 1099s for my employees or contractors." Click on "Continue" after marking the box for "Prepare W-2s and 1099s for my employees or contractors."
    3. The next screen allows you to choose where to prepare taxes. For preparation of 1099-INT or 1099-DIV forms, you will have to prepare forms Online.
    4. Click on that link and you will be directed to the quickemployerforms site
    5. You will need to create a login to use the site
    6. You can indicate what form you want to prepare [W2, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT and 1099-DIV.] and then you would be able to proceed.

You must access the forms at least once through the program to validate your access and subscription. Subsequently, you may go to http://quickemployerforms.intuit.com directly and sign in.

Similar questions other people found helpful: