I want to change Bank Routing Number?

Turbo Tax is now asking me to make payment before filing without presenting me with total payment amount, including tax, & without giving me the opportunity To change bank & routing number for direct deposit! Last year my refund was sent to wrong bank, & e-filing was a waste as it took another full month for wrong bank,(who had been acquired by another,) to return my refunds to government & then Internal Revenue back to me!! My notes to you went unanswered last year. This year I want it changed before I pay you & file! I await your reply. Thank You, [personal info removed]

Hey atticusphotos,

Good morning , my name is Daniel You can change your routing number when you go through the interview to file your return (File, File a Return), when you get to the screen where is asks how you want your refund, choose Direct Deposit, then you can change your bank information (routing number and/or account number. Let me know if this helps have a great morning.

-Daniel-

• Hello Daniel, Why am I being asked to pay in advance of Bank & Routing Number being corrected? Turbo Tax is thorough on all other matters before asking for credit card payment!
    • Hello Daniel... what if you didn't realize the routing number was wrong until AFTER  you submitted everything??? How can you check that the refund gets to the correct institution?
    • maggiedalene:
      If you have already efiled, and  IF you chose the option to have your TT fees paid out of your Federal refund, you may still be able to change your deposit info by going through SBTPG (Santa Barbara Tax Products Group) that handles that refund processing service.  If you did choose that option, you can even log into your account at their website.

https://cisc.sbtpg.com
      SBTPG Customer Service:  1-877-908-7228

If you've already efiled and did NOT use the refund processing service, you cannot change the direct deposit info unless the IRS rejects the return.  Then you can change it and resubmit it.  However, if the IRS accepts your return, then you would not be able to change it.  If it was accepted, the IRS would try to deposit the refund in that account.  If it failed, it would bounce back to the IRS, and they would issue a paper check.   If it's an incorrect account number, there is some risk that it could match someone else's account and be deposited in the wrong account. So according to TurboTax, it's a good idea to go ahead and notify the IRS (see phone number below).

However, if you act soon, and if you wish to do so, you *may* be able to STOP the direct deposit.  The IRS website says "if the return has not already posted to our system, you can request for us to stop the direct deposit."    Then I assume they would mail you a paper check.

http://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Questions-&-Answers/IRS-Procedures/Refund-Inquiries/Refund-Inquiries-18

IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Also notify your state tax agency if you are getting your state refund by direct deposit.
      https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-to-contact-your-state-tax-agency