Trying to enter foreign pensions (Canada and UK) on manual entry for forms 1099-R also submitting Form 4852

Trying to get foreign pensions added to to manual 1099-R forms. Got stuck on the Federal Identification Number when trying to use 99-9999999. Found instructions that said to also fill out Form 4852. Followed instructions to fill out Form 4852. The Payer Federal ID number 99-9999999 now pops up as an error on the 4852.  At least the same error has cleared on the 1099-R. How do I get past this error?

6 people found this helpful

Turbo Tax's 1099-R is fouled up, and I am fed up.

Last year because people receiving social pensions from foreign governments were forced to enter a non-existent "Payer's Federal ID#", I could not file electronically. After many phone calls to the IRS, I reached some department that deals with difficult problems and was, at last, told that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LIST OF PAYER's FEDERAL ID#s FOR FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS! (Sorry for the caps. I am hoping some TT employee will take note.)

Yet here is the same problem being repeated again this year! Prior to the 2012 tax year, this problem did not exist. There was a box we could check to indicate that the payer's address was foreign, as mentioned in the Help even now:

"For Form 1099-R, if you are filing this return electronically and the payer's address is outside the U. S., check the "outside the U. S." box, and click here for instructions on how to enter the foreign address." What has happened to this box, Turbo Tax?

However, this box has disappeared, so far as I can tell, and I am wondering if its disappearance was somehow tied up electronically with the "pinking out" of the box for the non-existent Payer's Federal ID# that is now being required.

Unless this problem is speedily resolved by TurboTax, I will be buying my tax preparation software from some other company next year! Very, very angry because of all the time and stress this problem caused me last year. For now, I think I'll try  that 99-9999999 solution that worked for someone asking a question here, but I am resigned to probably having to file by snail mail again.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community