TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Trying to enter foreign pensions (Canada and UK) on manual entry for forms 1099-R also submitting Form 4852

Trying to get foreign pensions added to to manual 1099-R forms. Got stuck on the Federal Identification Number when trying to use 99-9999999. Found instructions that said to also fill out Form 4852. Followed instructions to fill out Form 4852. The Payer Federal ID number 99-9999999 now pops up as an error on the 4852.  At least the same error has cleared on the 1099-R. How do I get past this error?

Turbo Tax's 1099-R is fouled up, and I am fed up.

Last year because people receiving social pensions from foreign governments were forced to enter a non-existent "Payer's Federal ID#", I could not file electronically. After many phone calls to the IRS, I reached some department that deals with difficult problems and was, at last, told that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LIST OF PAYER's FEDERAL ID#s FOR FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS! (Sorry for the caps. I am hoping some TT employee will take note.)

Yet here is the same problem being repeated again this year! Prior to the 2012 tax year, this problem did not exist. There was a box we could check to indicate that the payer's address was foreign, as mentioned in the Help even now:

"For Form 1099-R, if you are filing this return electronically and the payer's address is outside the U. S., check the "outside the U. S." box, and click here for instructions on how to enter the foreign address." What has happened to this box, Turbo Tax?

However, this box has disappeared, so far as I can tell, and I am wondering if its disappearance was somehow tied up electronically with the "pinking out" of the box for the non-existent Payer's Federal ID# that is now being required.

Unless this problem is speedily resolved by TurboTax, I will be buying my tax preparation software from some other company next year! Very, very angry because of all the time and stress this problem caused me last year. For now, I think I'll try  that 99-9999999 solution that worked for someone asking a question here, but I am resigned to probably having to file by snail mail again.

• I have to admit that, just now, when I entered 99-9999999 in that pinked-out space, TT accepted it and the red exclamation mark was removed from my 1099-R in the list of forms. I haven't been directed to fill out form 4852 so far, and am hoping this will be the end of my problem.
    • If the solution is to enter that all-9's number, why doesn't either Turbo Tax or the IRS tell us about it? May I ask where you found it, aabrewst?
    • 99-9999999 did not work! THIS IS A WASTE OF MY TIME !!!!!!!!!!!
    • dewgene: Did it not work in the 1099-R form, or in form 4852, or both? In the end, since it worked in 1099-R, I didn't bother with 4852, and I was able to e-file. In fact, I didn't even try to fill out the 4852, as TT had transferred the address of the foreign government in question, but nothing I did would allow me to enter the name of said government on the payer's line of the 4852. Grrrr.
      I wasted a tremendous amount of time on this sort of thing last year, and then when I had filed by snail mail, the USPS sent both my state return and its check and the federal return to the IRS, necessitating more writing and phoning to straighten things out, as well as resending my state return with a new check. So this problem is really nasty and I was glad to be able to e-file this time.
      It may console you a little to know that when I took the survey TT offers after we file, I wrote at length about the problem with the 1099-R, and I am hoping that even if TT doesn't read any of our complaints HERE, they will read the one in the survey and do something about this.
    • well here it is 2015, and dale.janice the same problem remains with Turbo Tax!  Argh!  Last year I was able to "fool"  it with 0's and 9's for foreign address but not this year.. I can even see the box asking what country on federal review, but it will not activate the box.  My husband receives foreign pension, can you tell me a different software that can handle this?!
    • i did with 00-000000 it worked
    • Did the IRS website accept your e-file using the zeroes?  Last year, TurboTax accepted the e-file, but it was rejected a day or so later by the IRS.  I was under the impression that you could not e-file if you had a form 4852.

I was finally able to fix the smart check errors (and efile my 2014 return).  To fix the address problem and ID Number problems for foreign entities, Go to Form view.   On Form 1099R, there is a combo box (below Payer’s name, address) called Payer’s Country.  Select the foreign country and this gets rid of the address errors in 1099R.   On Form 4852 enter the City but leave State and Zip Code blank.  This gets rid of the address errors in 4582.  To get rid of the ID Number error, the field (item 6) in 4852 can be blank but in 1099R cannot be. So, in 1099R enter 99-9999999.  This then gets automatically written on 4852, but on a PC you right click on the field, select override, and delete the numbers.  Both forms are now error free and you can efile.  On Mac override is not available, but if you copy from Mac to PC, do it on PC , and copy back  to Mac it will work.   (1099R is “keep for your record, so the 99-9999999 there should not be a problem. I suspect you can even remove it.)

• Don't have a PC! Why can't TT change its program so that foreign pensions can be included and forms efiled? Answer, it is too much trouble for a small number of customers they say! Going elsewhere in future.

Similar questions other people found helpful: