TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

what is the difference between form 5498-SA and 1099-SA

Got a form 5498-SA today for my HSA.  Turbo is asking for 1099-SA.

5498-SA reports the contributions to the account.  1099-SA reports the amounts that came out of the account.  Its possible that you have not received the 1099-SA yet.

Hope this helps, and thanks for using TurboTax

• What if no amounts came out of that account last year, will I still receive a 1099-SA?  If not, what should I select in TurboTax?
    • Dear TurboTaxFrankG, in 2013 I added $1,850 to maximize my HSA contribution for 2012. Then I received 5498-SA. I know that this form is only for my records, but I wonder where and how I should show that $1,850. I contributed it on my own (not payroll thru deduction) after paying taxes. On my Deduction and Credits page this amount is shown under Medical -> HSA, MSA contributions for 2012, but for 2013 it shows $0. Will this do, i.e. does this mean it has been recorded correctly and I deducted it from my income last year? Thanks in advance.
    • After reading your question, I have a couple questions.
      Are you working on a 2013 tax return or a 2012 tax return?
      Was the $1850 included on the 2012 Form 5498-SA?

You should have reported the additional $1850 on your 2012 tax return.
    • Hi Rebab. Here are the answers to your questions:
      1. I am working on my 2013 taxes.
      2. Yes, $1850 was included on the 2012 Form 5498-SA.
      I do not remember, but I believe I might have sent this $1850 to my HSA bank before filing my 2012 Return in time to show it on my 2012 Return.
      Do you think this form and this $1850 showing in 2012 in comparison column means just that?
    • You asked, "Do you think this form and this $1850 showing in 2012 in comparison column means just that?"

Yes, that sounds right. Form 5498-SA confirms the additional contribution to the account and TT is showing that you had a 2012 deduction of $1850 (which means it was included in your 2012 tax return).
    • Many thank you for carefully reading and answering in detail and to the point.
    • You're welcome.

Similar questions other people found helpful: