TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

where do i enter a rollover

HI! I am trying to find where to enter a rollover from an old 401k to a new traditional IRA. The system never asked me for it, although I was warned at one point (in the IRA portion) NOT to enter rollovers.
Thanks!
  • Have you already received your 1099-R?   If not, don't try to enter it without it.

Thanks, I'm relieved a bit. The actual 1040 form appears correct, however the page labeled "Here's a Picture of Your 2013 Income reflects an inaccurate Total Income. A rollover isn't income., which is why it is nontaxable. It should not appear in the list being summed. The total shown gives the wrong impression to the user.

The rollover questions ask if the 401K was rolled into a Roth 401K. They din't ask about rollover to a traditional IRA. The answer is therefore incomplete.

• Does your 1099-R have distribution code "G" in Box 7?  If so, then that has already told TT that you had a "direct rollover".   The program will then want to be sure it wasn't a Roth.   The program will then  ask if it was rolled into a designated Roth 401K or Roth403(b).   If "no", then next screen is "Was this money rolled over to a Roth IRA?".  If "no", it should ask "Were you employed as a public safety officer?" and if "no", then you would arrive at a 1099-R summary screen.

TT will then know you had a "direct rollover" that wasn't a Roth.   So you can look at the Form 1040 to be sure it accounted for that correctly.    

If using the Online version, click on TOOLS in the left menu column, then choose VIEW TAX SUMMARY.  While viewing the Tax Summary, look at at the top of that popup window and click on the tab that says "Review Form 1040".  Look at Lines 16a and 16b.  The amount of distribution should be on 16a. The word "ROLLOVER" should be typed on 16b.  If all of your rollover was nontaxable, there should be a 0 on 16b.

If you are using the Desktop version, you can go into Forms View.  In the left column is the list of all your forms.  Click on the Form 1040 to display.  Look at lines 16a and 16b as above.
  • That is what mine did in this same situation, but I think it should have brought up something to start tracking my wife's new traditional IRA. that did not happen and I can't find a way to start that.
  • markw008:
    TT will start tracking the value of an IRA when you go through the IRA contributions section, which is a different section than the Retirement Income (1099R) section.    When you get to the right section (see steps below), one of the screens should ask what the current value is, and then it should track it from year to year from data that is transferred into the program each year.

I have no way to know which edition you are using, so the following navigation steps may or may not be for the product you are using.  But the principle is the same.  It's done in the Deductions category, not in the Income category.

Federal Taxes tab.
    Subtab "Deductions & Credits."
    "I'll choose what I work on."
    Your 2013 Deductions & Credits Summary page.
    Scroll down to RETIREMENT AND INVESTMENTS.
    Find subtopic "Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions" and click START (or Update.)

Similar questions other people found helpful: