underpayment penalty

I sold my house in June 2013 for gain and as a result I owe $18300 federal income taxes for

2013.  Last year my taxes were $8430 and since I paid $9000 I got federal refund last year.

Based on last year 2012, I paid $8640 federal Income taxes. Do I owe underpayment penalty this year because I paid $8640 estimated taxes, but I owe $18300 due to sale of my house.

The form 2210 says that if I paid enough taxes this year based on prior year income, I do not owe penalty this year.

Please clarify. Can I pay now the balance of the taxes I owe before 14th of January and avoid underpayment? 

Default user avatars original d5efadcf497ea7b3d86c6f8d148d66633a29ce78fa8391af628adf32d9989354
  • Asked by Ramas
  • TurboTax Premier
Options Edit Ask for details Archive

Answer

Can I pay the remaining taxes before January 14th, and avoid penalty or since I paid enough taxes based on previous year income IRS won't impose penalty? 

It looks like you missed three installments if the house was sold in June.  In any event, a payment at this time will avoid the penalty for the fourth quarter, but not the second and third.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
bwa
SuperUser
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community