TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

E-File and PIN number

I E-filed last year (2012) and believe I entered a 5-digit pin. I see a 5 digit PIN written in my notes, but not sure it is the IRS Pin.

#1- Is the same PIN number used every year (for 2013, etc.)?

#2- Is there any way I can check to make sure IRS has the same PIN number I have and should this be used for 2013 also.

Can anyone explain so I can understand as I am 80 years old and this is so confusing for me. I don't remember what I did last year regarding the PIN.

Thank you kindly.

• how do I enter my adjusted gross income to obtain my irs pin number

The 5-digit PIN is your electronic "signature" used to sign your return when you e-file it. You should protect your PIN the same as you do your social security number. If you lose/forget your PIN, or if you believe your PIN has been compromised, you can get a new one at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request  Note that you will need information off your 2012 tax return to verify your identity with the IRS, before they will issue you a new PIN. Hope this helps!

• Yes, I know what the pin is, I just wanted to know the answers to #1 and #2 please. Thank you.
  • you use the same PIN year-to-year. The only way to know if what  you think is your PIN  is correct, is to file your taxes using that number. If it's rejected because of an invalid PIN, then you can get a new PIN at the above referenced website.
  • I just read the following on TT site: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901274-get-your-electronic-filing-pin-from-the-irs

:"Your assigned PIN, which cannot be changed, is valid only until e-filing shuts down in mid-October, so don't worry about writing it down for next year."

Which would lead me to believe that you need to get a new one each year.
  • Hmmmm... I've been using the same PIN since 2003 with no issues. I wonder if TT may need to update that FAQ?
  • And this also: "Using the Electronic Filing PIN  After you get your Electronic Filing PIN, enter it in the “Electronic Filing PIN” field when filing your return. The Electronic Filing PIN is a temporary PIN used by the IRS to verify your identity when you e-file. Keep a copy of your signed tax return for your records."
    from: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1924175-e-file-and-pin-number
    which mentions "temporary."
  • Like I said, TT will have to look at that. I've been using my "temporary" PIN for 10 years now. So something's not right somewhere. I'll let TT sort it out.
  • I really don't know what is going on. I thought I would have to call 1-866-704-7388 every year to get a PIN, but after reading the above and this
    "Where do I get my PIN? You create your own PIN. You do not register the PIN with the IRS before filing or need to contact the IRS to get it. The five-digit PIN can be any five digits except all zeros."
    I don't know what to do now. There appears to be two different PINS. One you call the IRS for and one you create yourself. I hope someone can explain this so even I can understand it. So very confusing to me.
  • Basically, use the PIN you have (or what you believe might be the PIN). Then if it doesn't work, go to the website referenced above, and you'll be issued a PIN toot-sweet. Also, since the IRS will not begin processing efiled returns before Jan 31st, if you e-file early, you won't get a rejection or accepted response before then. It just "sits there" in the queue.
  • Just read the following and it appears that last year's PIN should not be used: "The only PIN that will work this year is the Electronic Filing PIN issued by the IRS. If you recycle last year's 5-digit PIN, your return will get rejected."
    I hope TT can explain this. Whether or not we need a new PIN. I would not like my E-File to be returned because I used last year's PIN when I should not have.
  • Does anyone have a definitve answer to the above question?
    Can I use the same 5 digit PIN I used last year, or must I get a new 5 digit pin (at 1-866-704-7388)?
    As I mentioned, I would not want to file my tax returns using last year's 5 digit PIN and have my tax returns denied.
    Please advise.
  • I have this from IRS Bobby and hopefully it solves your dilemma my friend. I was wondering the same but the last sentence should put you at ease my friend. Yes it's right to use the one that Turbo Tax has given you. That was the one from last years return that was ACCEPTED. Temporary pins are given by IRS when people don't have or lost their PINS and are only good for that tax return. As long as your returns aren't rejected you are to keep using the same PIN....

From IRS website.....
    Topic 255 - Self-Select PIN Signature Method for Online Registration
    If you e-file using online filing software, you must sign the tax return using the self-select PIN (personal identification number) signature method. The self-select PIN signature method allows taxpayers to electronically sign their individual income tax return by selecting a five-digit PIN.

The PIN is any five numbers (except all zeros) that you choose to enter as your electronic signature. Each taxpayer filing a joint return needs a PIN and each may choose any five numbers. As part of the authentication process, each taxpayer enters their date of birth and either their adjusted gross income (AGI) as shown on their original return for the prior year or their prior year PIN.

If you are unable to access your tax year 2012 return information for electronic signature authentication purposes, the IRS will issue a temporary Electronic Filing PIN (EFP) to eligible taxpayers. If an EFP is needed, you can go to the Electronic Filing PIN Request application on the IRS.gov website and follow the instructions provided by the online application to receive your Electronic Filing PIN.

Generally, you may e-file your tax return even if you are required to submit certain paper forms or supporting documents. Use Form 8453 (PDF), U. S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return, to transmit required paper forms or supporting paper documents.

Primary taxpayers under age 16 who have never filed and secondary taxpayers under age 16 who did not file for 2012 are ineligible to use the self-select PIN method to sign. Affected taxpayers may still e-file by using the Practitioner PIN method.

The IRS advises taxpayers to keep a copy of their tax return for their records to assist with electronically signing the next year's e-file return. If you need a copy or a transcript of your return, refer to Topic 156 for assistance.
  • Thank you. So I will use same 5 digit number I used last year.
    #1- But I do not undersntad what you mean by " but the last sentence should put you at ease my friend."
    and
    #2- "Yes it's right to use the one that Turbo Tax has given you."
    Didn't IRS give me the number last rather than TT? Or did TT get a 5 digit PIN number for me?
  • The last sentence tells you the irs recommends you keep your tax return to assist you with electronically signing this years return.......which means that you keep using your old pin.

If you used TT before then TT will automatically fill it in. I picked mine I believe years ago. I have used TT for last 5 years. When I picked mine TT remembered it and automatically put it in.

Did you use TT last year?

You can call irs here to get help with PIN......1-866-704-7388

Or go here for TT support (live chat or they will give you a phone number)

Good Luck!

Jason
  • As long as your return never gets rejected, you keep using same PIN.
  • Sorry i forgot to post TT help link. Here it is.......https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/#/search/Pin
  • I used TT last year but I am using a different computer and therefore I don't think TT would be able to fill-in the 5-digit PIN number if a previous TT is not on this new computer.
    Correct?
  • It should work fine. If you used TT last year your pin will be on their servers and it should automatically fill it in. Doesn't matter what computer you are on.
  • Thanks. I saw this on Internet and wonder what they mean?
    "What if the PIN I used last year doesn't work? Last year's PIN most likely won't work with this year's return. You'll need to get a new PIN from the IRS's Electronic Filing Service. Simply click here (or call 1-866-704-7388) to get your PIN."
  • If they had problems with their return and it was rejected they most likely would have to get a new one. If your return was accepted then just keep going with the one TT puts in for you.

Similar questions other people found helpful: