E-File and PIN number

I E-filed last year (2012) and believe I entered a 5-digit pin. I see a 5 digit PIN written in my notes, but not sure it is the IRS Pin.

#1- Is the same PIN number used every year (for 2013, etc.)?

#2- Is there any way I can check to make sure IRS has the same PIN number I have and should this be used for 2013 also.

Can anyone explain so I can understand as I am 80 years old and this is so confusing for me. I don't remember what I did last year regarding the PIN.

Thank you kindly.

2 people found this helpful

The 5-digit PIN is your electronic "signature" used to sign your return when you e-file it. You should protect your PIN the same as you do your social security number. If you lose/forget your PIN, or if you believe your PIN has been compromised, you can get a new one at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request  Note that you will need information off your 2012 tax return to verify your identity with the IRS, before they will issue you a new PIN. Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful? Yes No

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community