E-File and PIN number

I E-filed last year (2012) and believe I entered a 5-digit pin. I see a 5 digit PIN written in my notes, but not sure it is the IRS Pin.

#1- Is the same PIN number used every year (for 2013, etc.)?

#2- Is there any way I can check to make sure IRS has the same PIN number I have and should this be used for 2013 also.

Can anyone explain so I can understand as I am 80 years old and this is so confusing for me. I don't remember what I did last year regarding the PIN.

Thank you kindly.


2 people found this helpful

The 5-digit PIN is your electronic "signature" used to sign your return when you e-file it. You should protect your PIN the same as you do your social security number. If you lose/forget your PIN, or if you believe your PIN has been compromised, you can get a new one at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request  Note that you will need information off your 2012 tax return to verify your identity with the IRS, before they will issue you a new PIN. Hope this helps!


Was this answer helpful? Yes No

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community