When using 2013 Turbo Tax Cd on my PC, my 2013 Cd will not recognize the downloaded file of my 2012 online information? How can i get these two to recognize?

Your desktop TurboTax 2013 would be looking for your 2012 .tax file under "my documents\turbotax".  Please make sure your downloaded .tax12 file is in that directory or tell turbotax to search for it in the directory where you have placed it -- that should make it work.  Note that it has to be .tax12 file not the .pdf version of your return

• The only file I get from the Turbo tax site of my last years' (2012) return is a PDF or a file Turbo TaxReturn.tax, which turbo tax 2013 on my PC won't or can't access.
    • Thank you for your Help.  I got it transferred.
    • Your welcome.
    If you can't get the .tax2012 file there is a work around to transfer the info.

To transfer an Online return to Desktop program see this
    https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901506-transfer-last-year-s-tax-return-to-turbotax-2012-cd-download-software-for-windows
    And scroll down to the last section Transfer your  Online Return

If you can't get or didn't save the .tax file to your computer before online was shut down in Oct or lost it,  there is a way to do it by starting your return in the Online version, transfer into that and then you can switch and continue in the desktop version and you won't have to pay for online.  See this (it says 2012 but it will be the same for 2013)…
    https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-move-your-2012-online-return-to-the-2012-turbotax-cd-download-software

Then you should be able to save the .tax file to you computer without paying for it in the online version. Then just OPEN it in your desktop program to continue. Don't transfer or import it!
    • I am having the same problem.  I tried renaming the file and it didn't work.  When I looked at the properties of the file it said it was a .tax file  so I had essentially renamed it to taxes.tax2013.tax  I am so frustrated.  I have used online for the last 5 years, but there was a good deal on the CD version, so I bought that this year. One of the reasons I come back each year is so I don't have to re-enter everything each her.  Help.
    • You would need to rename it .tax2012 (not 2013).  It should be like...
      yourname.tax2012

Or try the other steps I listed by starting a new 2013 ONLINE return, transfer into that and then you can continue it in the CD version.  

We have always recommended using the Desktop program and this year especially since all the Desktop versions still have all the same forms and the Online versions don't.  And you will always have access to your return and you can see and enter directly into the forms.  And you can do unlimited returns and it has a What-If worksheet for planning and it include a free state program.

This year the Online versions do not have all the same forms, but the Desktop versions still do.  So if you need to enter capital gains or investment sales you need to use Online Premier or Home & Business.  And Schedule C is only in Home & Business online.  But all online versions can do a C-EZ if you qualify for that.  So this year we strongly recommend switching to the Desktop program if you want to use a lower version.
    • sldn7.
      try this, right click rename,
      you want a tax file  named like so------sldn7.tax2012---that is legitimate file, you created a double extension.
    • Oh, I missed that she had an extra .tax still in it.
    • "Them" extra little dots play havoc on an extension.LOL
    • I was able to download my 2013 file that I "started". I still couldn't get anything else to work.  ;)  Thanks for you help.