TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

New computer; transfer 2012 TurboTax return from old computer.

Last year I prepared my 2012 TurboTax return on my old computer.  I  now have a new computer.  I read the instructions for transferring the 2012 return to my new computer but have not been successful.  I do not have a "thumb drive".  I tried preparing a "PDF" on the old computer but I am unsure if I did.....no PDF icon appeared on my desktop.  And even if I did prepare a PDF I wouldn't know what to do with it.  I know very little about computers.  Please.....I need a "step-by-step" instruction to get my 2012 information transferred to 2013, preferably with your personnel instructing every step of the way.  I never had this problem before although I've been using TurboTax for ten years (but never changed computers).  Thank you.

• can I get simple instructions to transfer 2012 turbo tax files to a new computer

You need your prior years return in a .tax2012 format for it to transfer over to your new computer and be usable by TT13

• Okay, thank you but I don't know what a ".tax2012 format" is or where it is if I do have it..
  • Open your return in TurboTax2012 and choose Save As from the File menu.
            Tip: If you want to save the file to a portable device, save it to your desktop first to prevent data corruption. Copy the desktop file to your device.
        In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name).
             Click Save and then close TurboTax.
    Now put that send that file via email to yourself.
    Save that file from your email on the new computer.
    Open TT13 and select transfer from prior years returns.
  • send my tax information by public email?  There must be some other way....

Hello jstrauss,

I have read your question and i have found this for you i hope it can help you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901506-transfer-last-year-s-tax-return-to-turbotax-2013-cd-downlo...

thank you.

-Atanacio

Similar questions other people found helpful: