When will a fix be available so TurboTax 2013 will install (running XP) without returning Windows Installer Error 1603? Installs to 27%, backs up to 26% then quits because of Error 1603.

I have been using Turbo Tax for 15 years, & becomming more disgusted with it every time I have to Install the product, it is something I would rather not do, just like paying taxes, but I don't have a choice, except use another tax product. Which seems to be a very good idea lately. Every year I have to upgrade to something new or have a problem with the MS Net Framework. I don't have these problems with other Programs & Im getting very tired of it, happening every year. Make a Program that Installs Well, or you will lose customers. My problem this year, I see is a most common one, with a lot of other users having the same problem, I checked the posts. So I know that It is not just my computer, the problem is:When will a fix be available so TurboTax 2013 will install (running XP) without returning Windows Installer Error 1603? Installs to 27%, backs up to 26% then quits because of Error 1603.

• Go to the link below and read TurboTaxShawnK Moderator 's  post [scroll down past all the other post till you get to his post]
    Turbotax  has special instruction in that post just for Xp users that is having problems.
    [edit link]
    link
    https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901608-
  • Cannot get to TurboTaxShawnK post can the post be redone or a way to access it?
  • Boogie96
    My error failed to pick up link .
    link
  • Had no luck... have decided to go with a different software program... send back my cd for full credit.  Spport is not helping at all.
  • Funny thing…TT would not install on my HP PC running XP Home Service Pack 3, however it installed fine on my wife’s Compaq PC running XP Pro Service Pack 3.  The HP PC lists 17 .Net4 patches installed while the Compaq lists ZERO .Net4 patches installed.  Windows Update considers both PCs as up to date.  I had notified Intuit earlier that the install is using a command line security executable that Microsoft says is not compatible with XP Home.  I am probably the last man on earth still using XP Home so this probably does not help anyone else.
  • To kpick4.  I believe there are probably "thousands" of XP users still out there.. I have TWO Compac PC's, XP Home SP3 on one and XP PRO SP3 on the other one... This 2013 TT failed to install on BOTH of them..
    retiredbee

Same problem 1603 error on 3 different machines under XP and VISTA with new install and NO FIREWALL and NO ANTIVIRUS and installed as ADMINISTRATOR with FULL ACCESS confirmed.  This is not a windows problem it's a turbotax install problem.  Same machines installed 2011 and 2012 versions IMMEDIATELY before failing 2013 install.  Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm  How about some answers so we can stop wasting our time trying to install this poor programming. Tell us what gives so we stop wasting our time - folks are just getting steamed without answers.  Bill B.

• Here's how to reach TT Customer Support by phone or online chat during their business hours:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

When at that support page, in the search line enter some keywords or question without quotes. On the next page, skip the suggested topic links and scroll down until you see two interfaces ONLINE CHAT or CALL US.  It should show the wait times for each.

Support hours this time of year are 8 AM - 5 PM Pacific, Mon-Fri. (In late January 2014, changes to 5 AM - 9 PM Pacific.)

How the support system works:
    https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-trying-to-contact-us-or-reach-the-turbotax-support-telephone-number
  • I was on the phone with a tech for close to three hours and it fixed nothing, changed nothing.  Waste of time!
  • hjd85  [start your return online]
    Go to the link below and read TurboTaxShawnK Moderator 's  post [scroll down past all the other post till you get to his post]

link
  • its the 24th where is the fix!!
  • shurley6
    Sign up, and they will notify you when the fix is ready and how to download it.
    Use the link above.
  • I have returned my software and had no luck going thru H & R Block webiste.. fast accurate and $50.00 cheaper.  Even was able to import my last years taxes with no problems.   Was tired of no quick response from Turbo Tax ... I am comparing them to the OBAMACARE website fiasco.... thank you but no thank you... Taxes are ready to file ... Yeah!
  • I meant to say I had NO problems with H & R Block website... it worked great.  From everything I have seen on this issue TurboTax is not for me anymore!

For a Company that has the best tax programs their install programs this year was a disaster.  Not sure what happened and their responses were the worst and most arrogant i ever encountered.

• This answer sounds as if this person is a "Intuit Rep" same BS answer=same NO FIX !!
      n
    • See the comment higher up in the thread on how you can talk to someone at TT.
    • A Senior Desktop Analyst, Jack Fei writes,

Vijay has makes some excellent points about how to troubleshoot these types of issues. From my experience, the fix is usually trivial once you understand “how to correlate verbose logging results” with msi internals.

First, know that “installation” means msiexec.exe sequentially processing rows of the InstallExecute-Sequence table inside the msi database.

Second, know that msiexec.exe processes the commands sequenced between Install-Initialize and Install-Finalizes in two passes. A way to think about it is the first pass “conditionally installs the change” to the machine while checking the syntax of the command and the second pass “commits the change to the machine”. A 1603 essentially means “an error occurred” trying to commit the change, causing msiexec.exe to “backout the change”.

This type of error is either caused by msi misengineering (most vendor msi are misengineered) or by an “machine specfic issue”. So Patrick Pepin makes an excellent suggetion to check the msi vendor.
    • That is the best idea yet proposed and has been discussed previously by Paul Opper in his December 2012 blog that can be found here:

http://www.coretekservices.com/2012/12/06/dont-rename-vendor-provided-msi-files/

"You see, the issue is that you can rename the .MSI, install it successfully, re-run it successfully, and uninstall it successfully; provided you do all of these actions using the renamed .MSI.  If, however, the actual vendor install runs on that same machine, whether from the bootstrap .exe or from the extracted .MSI, it will exit with a Windows Installer general error code “1603?.
      Packaging applications can sometimes be a frustrating task; because no matter how much forethought and care you put into your package, it can always be thwarted.  To be fair, I guess the same could be said for just about any other job.  

BB
    • 20+ million Turbotax  customers and a handful of errors would sort of eliminate packaging errors.
    • When 20+ million are sold this year I'll bet there will be more than "a handfull of errors".
    • LOL, "big Hands" oh ! that commercial is "good hands" LOL