TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

can't load Turbotax on windows 8 computer

I have already done everything TurboTax software advises to check to no avail. I called TurboTax and they said they culd not solve the problem after they tried to do it remotely with a download. They then told me the engineers would need to figure out why I am having this problem and a fix for it. They said it would take about a week, but then yesterday out of the blue I get an email from Intuit advising thta my case was closed, along with a survey to complete. I'm now baffled. Will Intuit continue to try to solve my problem, or has someone already decuided not to bother? Anyone else having this kind of problem?

• I have WIN 8.1, I5 processor, 8GB memory, program will  not open on win 8.1 but will open on my laptop with WIN7 ...

Try to download from thumb drive that I successfully used on my WIN 7 laptop and program will try to open but TurboTax says:
     "Sorry system does not meet min requirements. Administrative Rights".

I do already have TurboTax 2012 on this same WIN 8 machine.  What gives, who needs all this hassle??
  • Yes I did try to "Run as administrator" with right click when opening the file, no luck.
  • Tried to open as Win 7 file, no luck...

rriggi

Try the Microsoft Fix it below it will work on 

.the MSI FixIt tool: can fix Windows Installer 5 and you then you should be able to install/uninstall applications. Please run it and see how it works. 

What it fixes...

• Corrupted registry keys on 64-bit operating systems
  • Corrupted registry keys that control the update data
  • Problems that prevent new programs from being installed
  • Problems that prevent existing programs from being completely uninstalled or updated
  • Problems that block you from uninstalling a program through the Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) item in Control Panel 

Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled

Hello rriggi!

The email saying that your case is closed is for the case with the agent you talked to. A different case was opened with our Programmers and they will be working on that. Our programmers will email you and tell you how to fix the situation.

If you want you can reply to this thread and tell us what is happening with the install on your computer and we can try to help you here. Maybe someone else had the issue and got it fixed. They will be able to tell you how to solve the issue. However we need to know in detail what is happening and what you have tried so far to fix the issue.

Thanks for using TurboTax!

• In answer to your question I have verified that the latest version (4.5) of .NET on my computer is correct and is not corrupted and is up to date. Intuit tried to download TurboTax from toyr  website and install but that didn't work, even with Administrator rights. I do not want to do my taxes online and want to download to my computer from the CD that I purchased at Sam's Club just a few weeks ago. Thanks for the quick turn.
    • What is the exact error message it gives you when you try to install the CD to your computer?
    • Error code 1603/windows installer error
    • We've noticed a problem with the 1603 error. Did the agent show you this page when you contacted in?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901608-error-1603-a-fatal-error-occurred-during-installation-or-updating
    • No as he did not ask about error codes. But there is no problem with the .NET files as I did check them per instructions. The manual install from the internet by the the technician didn't work either.
    • Can you try these steps at the bottom of that article for me real quick?

1.Click Start and select Control Panel (Windows 8, right-click the Start button).
      2.Navigate to Programs and Features
      3.Select "Turn Windows Features On and Off" from the menu on the left.
      4.Uncheck all versions of the Microsoft .NET Framework.
      5.Close Control Panel and attempt to install TurboTax.
      6.Once you are finished, go back into Control Panel and check all versions of Microsoft .NET you previously unchecked.

I just want to make sure that shutting the .NET framework off doesn't work.
    • OK, I did this. I got the same error message - error 1603 (windows installer error). It took an inordinate amount of time to turn off .NET, and an inoridinate amount of time to try to load the software (Preparing install... It just hung up there).
    • Ok! I found these steps and several people have said it has worked for them.

Advanced Computer User Solution (manual restore):
      1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.
      2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.
      3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.
      4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.
      5) Click Next on the confirmation window.
      6) Restarts the computer when the restoration is finished.

Novice Computer User Solution (completely automated):
      1) Download (Error 1603) repair utility.
      2) Install program and click Scan button.
      3) Click the Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
      4) Restart your computer.
    • The fix did not work. In addition I ended up paying another $30 for software to repair the 1603 error, and then I had to listen to a high pressure salesperson trying to sell me on technical support at $295 a year! Nothing seems to fix this problem and I am very frustrated. I will wait on the engineers at Intuit to devise a fix in the next week or so and then simply request a refund of the price that I paid for this software. Thanks to everyone who attempted to help me solve this problem.
    • We escalated this case to our programmers as well. This way we can guarantee that you will have this fixed.

If you want. You can contact our customer support back now and we will get you a refund for the software since you are having this issue. We are open Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm PST.
      https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
    • error 1603
    • Thank you but I would like the program running on my computer so I would appreciate technical support fixing this one way or another.
    • NET 4.5 is a embedded framework on Win 8,  

As of 8/9/2013 Aaron's Stebner's NET Framework Cleanup Tool,added support last month for .NET 4.5 and Windows 8.  Microsoft own tool at the above release date  does not support .NET 4.5, nor can it remove frameworks completely.

Similar questions other people found helpful: