Cannot install TurboTax 13

I get a TuboTax CD seems to be damaged. You'll need to replace the CD.

Checked event log:

Activation context generation failed for "L:\setup.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "L:\setup.exe" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

• If you are a TT Advantage member, you are eligible for a free download this year. Just go into your account.
  • Do you have Service pack 2 installed on your Computer?
  • Yes, I do.

Hello Reed Horowitz,

Some people are reporting that there is a Windows update (including Windows 7) which has fixed errors of this type.  Suggest you try it and see if that takes care of the problem.  If not, please get back to us.

Hope this helps! Thanks again for choosing TurboTax!

• I am current on all the windows updated and it will not install. Is there a way I can try downloading the program online without paying for it again. I'm not sure if that would work, but I cannot install it from the CD. I already returned one CD to Amazon because the TurboTax error said the CD was damaged and would need to be replaced. When the second one gave the same error, I new it was something else. I could have installed it on my wife's computer  as I tried it on hers and got beyond the error message. I stopped as I need it on my computer.
    Thanks.
  • By the way, I have Windows Vista x 64.
  • Sorry that quick fix wasn't the right one.  I suggest you contact support.

You can reach customer support via the links below.  Please remember they are on Pacific Time when it is not tax season - they open at 8:00.

To contact TurboTax customer service go to the Contact Us page at the link below during the hours that customer service is open. Type your question and click Continue. It will show you several recommended answers. If the recommended answers don't solve your problem, SCROLL DOWN and click Chat or Get Number.

Support is open M-F 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Pacific time (much longer hours during tax season)
    https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/
    How the phone and chat support system works:
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Recommendations/Trying-to-Contact-Us-or-Reach-the-TurboTax-Support-Telephone-Number-/GEN12151.html
  • Oh yes, what OS is running on your wife's computer?
  • Vista x 32
  • Did you get the TurboTax disc from TurboTax directly?
  • From Amazon, but it is an official new, unopened Intuit TurboTax CD.

Reed:

If I can get you to sign into: https://turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download

There is a download for you for TurboTax Deluxe.  I would like to try this to see if the issue persists.  Please ensure that you save the file to your C:/ Drive.

Please let me know whether this works or no.

-Clay

Thanks much, Clay. I'm at work now. I'll try it when I get home.
    • Clay, There is no download available to me on that site.
    • Let's make sure you are using the right username.  If you would go to: https://turbotax.intuit.com/login/forgot-info/username.jsp then enter your email address, it will email you your usernames.  In case you may have multiple usernames.  I promise it's on your account :D
    • You are absolutely correct. I must have had a previous user name. I will give it a try when I get home from work. Thanks very much.
    • I was able to download and install TurboTax 2013 without a problem. Thank you very much. I wonder what the Windows conflict is trying to install from the CD drive?
    • Hi, Reed,

Glad that Clay was able to resolve your problem. Fortunately we have people I (and others like me) have people we can pass issues like this to.
    • I assume this will work exactly like the CD version I paid for, giving me up to 5 free federal filings and one state. Is that correct? I don't need to enter a code to make it an official registered version?
    • You will be good to go!! Everything will work as though it was installed from a CD.