How do I print a copy of my return after filing, for my own records?
These instructions work for your current version of the TurboTax CD/Download software.
- If you want to print a copy of a previous year’s return that you filed using TurboTax CD/Download Software – See “How to Print a Copy of a Previous Year’s Return” below.
After you've filed, it's a very good idea to print a copy for your records.
- A copy of your return comes in handy if you need to amend, apply for a loan, or prepare a return next year. It's also much cheaper than paying the IRS $50 for a replacement copy.
- When you print a copy of your return for your records, we include everything that was sent to the government, plus extra documentation and calculation worksheets.
However, we can't print out copies of your original W-2 or 1099 forms; you'll need to get those from the original issuer.
Make sure Adobe Reader is installed before proceeding, as you'll need it to print your return. Most computers already come with it, but if yours doesn't, you can download it for free.
- Open your return in TurboTax.
- Click the File tab.
- Choose Print.
- In the pop-up, click Preview Print Copy.
- Your return will open in Adobe Reader. Click the "printer" icon to open the Print window (or select Print from the File menu in the upper left corner).
- Make any adjustments in the Print window, such as number of copies, and then click the Print button at the bottom.
- If nothing prints or the PDF saves instead of prints, repeat Step 5 and then:
- Click the Advanced button near the top of the popup window;
- Clear the Print to File checkbox;
- Click OK,and then click the Print button again.
How to Print a Copy of a Previous Year’s Return
If you want to print a copy of a previous year’s return that you filed using TurboTax CD/Download Software:
- If you saved a PDF of that return when you filed your previous year’s taxes, just locate the PDF file on your computer, thumb drive, etc. and print the return.
- If you didn’t save a PDF, you’ll need to have the TurboTax software from the year of that prior return in order to print. (Example: You’ll need the 2015 software to print a copy of your 2015 return.)
- You can also download the software again, or get a replacement CD. See Related Information below.