How do I upgrade my TurboTax for Windows software?
If your tax situation warrants it – for example, if you enter a stock sale or K-1 while using Basic – we'll prompt you to upgrade.
You can also initiate an upgrade any time before filing:
- Open (continue) your return in the TurboTax software.
- Click Upgrade TurboTax, which you'll find along the very bottom of your screen (look for the "up" arrow).
- In the new window, select the version you'd like to upgrade to and click Upgrade Now. (Or No Thanks to abort the upgrade.)
- Follow the onscreen instructions to purchase the upgrade.
- When finished, continue working on your return – no need to go back to the beginning.
Upgrading is a one-way street; once you've upgraded, you can't go back to the version you originally purchased.