error installing TurboTax Home & Business 2013 Download for Windows

I successfully downloaded TurboTax Home & Business 2013 Download for Windows today (11/22/13), but when I go to install the product, about a third of the way thru the installation I get an error message saying that the installation hit a snag.  Turbotax then tries to recover using a TurboTax 2013 utility 2013.0.0.31.  All four fixes from the utility get the green check as being successful and then Turbotax tries again to install.  About a third of the way thru the installation I get the error code 65535 "installation can not continue due to an unexpected Windows installer error".  I have tried the installation twice and get the same unsuccessful results.

I am running Windows XP professional service pack 3 with all the windows updates current. 

Any suggestions on how to resolve this installation error?

Boy is this company a complete waste in correcting this problem.  It seems they wait until enough people have contributed a solution and then they use it as their own.  Happen to me twice.  FYI:  Turbotax this year all versions will not install on XP no matter what you do including a clean install of full xp sp3 AND framework on three different computers.    Windows installer error. 

Yes I have reached for 5 days and used every solution suggested on the internet by intuit.  This is the 5th year I have had to do something special to make it work.

I will not publish solution here.   email me at greer at mailinator.com.

Hint it will install on Vista without a problem.

TurboTax has a support article for this error.  See the following -
    https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900034-error-code-65535-unexpected-error
    • I have tried both of the answers supplied (clearing caches, defraging, running SFC, disabling antivirus protection, etc) and continue to get the same results as I described above.  Any other ideas?
    • daniel

I have the same problem. I'm highly computer savvy as it involves my working field. I have done all of the early fixes listed, in fact i keep my computers running up to date. I will try installing it on my win8 system but I do all my taxes on my xp system so this is going to be a problem this year and set me back.
    • I have used turbo tax for 20+ years and am very pissed off XP is supported till April this year your 2013 cannot and will not install I have been working on computers for 25 years and this is the worst release you have had its time for tax cut and your error messages like o we sorry computer are stupid we know etc sound like a 15 year old programmer error message really I am fed up trying to load this on the one computer I use for taxes and your making me use a windows 7 or 8 I will see by loading it on 8 if it works then I will use it this year but never again
    • dfreas a fix has been out over a month

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1987778-error-1603-fix
    With XP we may have to do a little extra computer maintenance this year. I have not received 2013 so these are generic action that should be preformed on a regular basis.

1.Clear all cache and temp folders
    2.Remove any unused programs
    3.use the Disk Cleanup tool
    4. defragment your computer
    5.Turn off Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance

Go into SERVICES (START - CONTROL PANEL - ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS - SERVICES) and change the Startup option for Windows Installer to MANUAL  

One of the best troubleshooting on XP is to run SFC to scan for for any corrupt files and replace them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Reboot your computer and retry the Turbotax installation.

Hope this information is helpful.

Please Post back in this thread.
    • Where is the download file located on your computer?

Do you use McAfee antivirus?

Try updating your "msiexec"

Windows Installer 4.5 4.5.6001.22159 Released as a redistributable for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) and later, and Windows Server 2003 with SP1 and later.

Windows Installer 4.5 is available
      link
       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
    • Assume you have also tried deleting the installation file and then downloading it again for a new install.  You are trying to install from the download to the hard drive, should be in the Download folder, and not from removable media, right?
      I just downloaded the Premier edition to my HP PC that is running Windows XP with SP3 and all updates.  It installed perfectly.
    • Yes, I am installing from a downloadable version.  I am running windows XP with sP3 and all updates.  I went ahead and deleted the install file I downloaded a couple days ago and downloaded a new version as of today.  I did an install and got the same issue as described above.
    • The Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter may automatically fix the problem described in this article.
      Problems that prevent new programs from being installed
      The troubleshooter applies to Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 only.  
      link
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    • I downloaded and ran troubleshooter.  It found and corrected a corrupt registry entry.  But when I tried to install TurboTax again, I still am getting same situation.  The Turbotax install gets to around 42% and then drops back to 26% and then it fails and rolls back the installation.  Just like all the other times.

Any other ideas?
    • Go to:Path is similar.

C:\Documents and settings\ user\ Local Settings\ temp

Delete all the files in that "Temp"folder that you can.

Go to the C:\ program files\Turbotax [rename the 2013 Turbotax folder that is there."old 2013 Turbotax"]

Drag the turbotax install file to your desktop and try to install from there.

I will get this post to the Moderators attention .

All antivirus have been disabled?

I hope this helps.
    • I cleaned up all temp files.  I disabled MS security essentials antivirus software (as I did in all previous installs) and moved the install file to my desktop.  After renaming Turbotax folder, I initiated the install.  Install fails just like previous install attempts.  The install gets to 42% and then drops back to 26%, before finally failing and rolling back the install.
    • How much available space is left on your hard drive?
    • I have two partitions.  My C: drive has 16.6 GB free and my G: drive has 889 GB free.  I have tried to install on both drives and both fail.
    • O.K.  Somewhere the install is losing the path, see if the following support article will help.
      Also [make a folder on the C; drive and then try the install from the folder on the root drive]
      Old install paths will create havoc on some program installs.
      Do you use G as swap file destination?

Changing the installation drive

How do I install TurboTax to a different drive or partition? (Windows)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901331
    • This support article does not apply to me.  I have tried to install on both the default C drive and on a new directory that I create on my G drive.  Both fail.  

I have tried to contact Turbotax directly through the call feature but that has proven unsuccessful also.  I feel pretty frustrated by now and if you can help me get directly to a turbotax support rep so that we can talk voice to voice to resolve my issue, that would be GREAT!!!!
    • They will be in later today Pacific time.

I have a post for the moderation to see with reference to this discussion ,
      I am only a volunteer user so recommendation is all I can do,

Good Luck..

And support has to be contacted
      see this post
      How do I contact turbotax?
      https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894367-how-do-i-contact-turbotax

contact
      https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
    • Thanks for your assistance.  Since yesterday, I have tried to get someone in Turbotax for help, and have either been hung up on, or been in an endless call waiting mode (even when it says the wait time is less than five minutes) or no one comes to the chat room.   I finally today sent an email to the turbotax advantage program email Id to see if I could get some assistance.  No response yet.

I am currently on hold (been there for 20 minutes now; even though the wait time was suppose to be less than 5 minutes).  Maybe I'll eventually get thru to someone?!?!?!?!L!
    • Weekends are tough  until the busy season start.
      Hang in there

• this has already been done and it does not fix the issue
    • will try it again just because computer is dumb we know it might not have understood the first time
    • dfreas There are  several different workaround , cleaning  & defrag your hard drive and  rebooting and with a little maintenance this fix has been virtually error free.
    • all that has been done and just did it again on that EU patch no good so done no more replies picking up hrblock or taxcut this has been the last straw