How do I Amend a 2012 Return in the TurboTax CD/Download Software?
Amend your 2012 return if you need to make changes or corrections to the 2012 return you already filed. But before you begin the amendment process, make sure you really need to amend.
- Open TurboTax and do not update yet.
- Save a copy of your tax file as originally filed.
- Name your new tax file adding the word 'Amended'.
- Select Check for Updates from the Online menu to make sure your software is now up-to-date.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab in Home & Business), and then select Other Tax Situations directly below the tabs.
- On the Other Tax Situations screen, next to Amend a Return, click Start.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to amend your 2012 return.
- When you get to the Tell Us Why You Need to Amend Your Return screen, select the option that applies to your particular situation.
- Note: Don't worry if your refund meter does strange things while you're amending; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
- When finished, TurboTax will give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.
3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.