Update a Printer Driver
A printer driver is a small piece of software that lets your computer communicate with your printer. If you're having printing problems, you may have an out-of-date printer driver installed.
Your computer can check for updates to the printer driver, or you can download the latest version at no charge from the manufacturer's web site. Try the steps below for your computer's operating system.
Windows 7 and 8
- Click the Windows Start button. In the search box, type Update and in the search results, click Windows Update.
- In the left window, click Check for Updates and then wait a moment while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- Click the link that tells you optional updates are available. (If you don't see it, it means Windows Update didn't find any updates for your computer.)
- Select the driver you want to install, click OK, and then click Install updates.
Note: If Windows doesn't find an updated driver for your printer, visit the Windows 7 Compatibility Center, which lists thousands of devices and has direct links to driver downloads. Also, you can visit the manufacturer's support website to check for updated drivers.
Apple OS X
- Choose Apple > Software Update. Your computer updates its list of available printer software and then downloads and installs updated for any printer you have installed.
- If your software isn't available using the Software Update, you can visit the manufacturer's support website to check the latest driver.