, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with error IND-046: Form 8862 is missing from the tax return and it is required to be able to claim the earned income credit (EIC).
To resolve this, you'll need to go back into TurboTax and check a special box that enables TurboTax to generate the missing 8862:
- In TurboTax, search for EIC (lower-case works also) and then click the Jump to EIC link in the search results.
- On the Earned Income Credit screen, select Yes and click Continue.
- Proceed until you get to the Tell Us a Little More screen.
- On this screen, check the box The IRS sent a notice that I can claim the EIC only if I file Form 8862 and click Continue.
- On the next screen, answer No.
- The next screen will be Complete Form 8862 with the 8862 form displayed in the lower half of the window.
- Fill out Form 8862. When finished, click Continue.
- Continue following the on-screen instructions until you reach the Earned Income Credit Summary screen. Run Error Check again and then re-transmit your return.