Schedule 8812, Child Tax Credit
What is Schedule 8812?
If the IRS requires additional information on a qualifying child, Schedule 8812 is used to verify a child for the Child Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit. There are two situations where the form is used.
- The child you are claiming for the Child Tax Credit has an ITIN number. This form is not needed for a child with an SSN or ATIN number.
- When your Child Tax Credit is limited because you don't owe a lot of taxes. The form is used to determine if a dependent may be a qualifying child for the Additional Child Tax Credit, which is the refundable portion of the Child Tax Credit. This means you could receive some of the credit as a refund even if you don't owe taxes.
For more information on Schedule 8812 and ITIN numbers, see the IRS Instructions for Schedule 8812.
For more information related to the Child Tax Credit, please see Child Tax Credit.
If you've already gone through the step-by-step interview and want to jump directly to the entry screen for this topic, follow these directions.
- Select Federal Taxes (Personal in the Home & Business edition).
In Online TurboTax, click the bars at the upper left corner to show Federal Taxes on the selection list; enlarge the screen if needed to show the left side selection list.
- Select Deductions & Credits, and on a following screen, click I'll choose what I work on.
- Scroll down the Your Deductions & Credits screen to the You and Your Family group.
- Click on Start/Update next to the Child Tax Credit topic.
- Follow the prompts.