TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
742 people found this useful

Can I deduct taxes I paid for a prior tax year?

Not if they were federal taxes.

You may be able to deduct state and local taxes in the year they were paid (regardless of which tax year they were for) if you itemize.

To enter these payments:

  1. Open your tax return in TurboTax.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Search for "tax paid" (use this exact term) in the search box near the top of your screen, and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. This will take you to the Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid screen.
  4. Scroll all the way down to the Other Income Taxes Paid topic to enter these payments.

We'll then figure out if you can deduct them.