TurboTax for Windows Minimum System Requirements
These are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2011 through 2015 Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, and Business software for Windows.
Although TurboTax 2015 won't be released until early November, we're providing 2015 product information for planning purposes.
2015: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7, or Windows Vista.
- Windows XP will no longer be supported in the 2015 tax year product.
- 2014: Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP with Service Pack 3+
- 2013, 2012: Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or 32-bit Windows XP with Service Pack 3+
- 2011: Windows 7, Windows Vista, or 32-bit Windows XP with Service Pack 3+
Administrator rights are required to install and run TurboTax on Windows Vista or later.
- 2015, 2014: Intel Pentium 4 (or higher) or AMD Athlon
- 2013, 2012, 2011: 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or faster
Hard Drive Space
- 2015, 2014: 650 MB
- 2013, 2012, 2011: 500 MB plus another 15 MB if installing a state product
You’ll need another 1.5 GB for the Microsoft .NET 4 client if it’s not already on your system. The client is included in the TurboTax installer.
RAM: 1 GB minimum. Although TurboTax 2011 and 2012 only require 512 MB, we recommend 1 GB or more for optimal performance.
Internet connection: At minimum, you'll need a 56 Kbps to e-file and download program updates. Broadband is highly recommended due to the large size of the update files.
Monitor resolution: 1024×768 minimum. TurboTax 2011 and 2012 can get by with 800×600, but we recommend at least 1024×768.
2X CD-ROM drive if you’re installing from the TurboTax CD (not needed for the downloadable software).
Adobe Reader 8.0 or higher to preview or print your tax forms. TurboTax 2015 will require Adobe Reader 10 or higher.
Windows-compatible inkjet or laser printer if you want to print your tax return or any tax forms.