What is Schedule A?
The IRS lets you take either the standard deduction or the itemized deduction. If you itemize (about 1/3 of all taxpayers do), we'll automatically fill out Schedule A, Itemized Deductions and switch you over to the 1040 long form.
Schedule A lets you report certain deductible expenses like:
- Medical and dental costs above and beyond 7.5% of your AGI
- State, local, real estate, and personal property taxes
- Home mortgage interest
- Charitable donations and gifts
- Damaged or stolen property (due to disasters, theft, and other causes)
- Unreimbursed employee expenses above and beyond 2% of your AGI
After you finish going through the Deductions & Credits section, we'll recommend whichever deduction – standard or itemized – gives you the biggest tax break. But you can always override our recommendation if you wish.
Schedule A is supported in the TurboTax CD/Download software (Basic through Home & Business) and in the Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed and TurboTax Live versions of TurboTax Online and the mobile app.