TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1140 people found this useful

Can I deduct union dues, and where do I enter them in TurboTax?

If you're self-employed, you can enter your union dues as a Schedule C business expense. Otherwise, if you're an employee, enter your union dues as a job-related expense.

Simply search for union dues in your TurboTax program and then click the Jump to union dues link in the search results. This will take you to a screen that asks about job-related expenses.

Continue following any on-screen instructions, and eventually you'll see a screen titled Job-Related Expenses. This is where you enter your union dues plus initiation fees. You can include assessments for benefits paid to unemployed union members, but not the portion that provides funds for sick, accident, or death benefits.

Note: Job-related expenses (including union dues) are not fully deductible, as they are subject to the 2% rule. More info

Related Information: