TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
2235 people found this useful

Can I deduct union dues, and where do I enter them in TurboTax?

If you're self-employed, you can enter your union dues as a Schedule C business expense.

Otherwise, if you're an employee, enter your union dues as a job-related expense. Simply search for union dues in your TurboTax program and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results. We'll take you to a screen that asks about your job-related expenses.

Continue following the on-screen instructions, and eventually you'll come to the Job-Related Expenses screen. Here's where you enter your union dues plus initiation fees. You can include assessments for benefits paid to unemployed union members, but not the portion that provides funds for sick, accident, or death benefits.

Note: Job-related expenses (including union dues) are not fully deductible, as they are subject to the 2% rule. More info