, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
On the 1099-R there is a box between boxes 7 and 8 called IRA/SEP/SIMPLE. If that box is checked the distribution is from an IRA, if the box is not checked the distribution is for something other than an IRA.
Go back to the place in TurboTax where you entered the form and make sure that the data entry for the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is the same in TurboTax is it is on your form.
- Select Federal Taxes (Personal in the Home & Business edition).
In Online TurboTax, click the bars at the upper left corner to show Federal Taxes on the selection list; enlarge the screen if needed to show the left side selection list.
- Select Wages & Income, and in the new screen, click Explore on My Own.
- Scroll down the Your Income Summary screen until you see the Retirement Plans and Social Security group.
- Click on the Start/Update button next to the IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) category.
- Return to the Enter your 1099-R screen, and under Amounts, look for the check box between lines (box numbers) 7 and 8. .