, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Unless otherwise indicated, all deadlines are at 11:59:59 P.M. (one second before midnight) local time.
January 2, 2014 (evening)
- The Intuit Electronic Filing Center begins accepting and holding ("stockpiling") 2013 tax returns that are able to be e-filed.
- The IRS will not start processing stockpiled returns until January 31.
January 15, 2014
- Due date for fourth installment of 2013 estimated tax payments.
January 31, 2014
- The IRS starts processing previously stockpiled returns on a first-in, first-out basis.
- The IRS typically runs a small number of stockpiled returns through their systems before January 31 for testing purposes.
- If yours is one of them, please note that your tax refund (if any) will not be processed before January 31.
March 17, 2014
- Deadline for filing a 2013 corporation or S-corporation return (or extension).
March 31, 2014
- Most uninsured taxpayers need to have health care coverage by this date to avoid possible penalties on their 2014 tax returns. More info
April 15, 2014
- Deadline for filing a 2013 personal, partnership, or estates/trusts tax returns (or extension).
- The return or extension must be postmarked or transmitted for e-filing by Tuesday, April 15, 2014.
- To avoid late payment penalties and interest, any additional taxes you owe must be paid by this date even if you filed an extension.
- Due date for first installment of 2014 estimated tax payments.
April 20, 2014
- Deadline for resubmitting (or mailing) a rejected federal return that was originally e-filed by the April 15 deadline if you did not file an extension.
- Note: E-filing for 2013 returns actually shuts down on October 20. The April 20 deadline applies to taxpayers who owe the IRS additional tax and want to avoid the late-filing penalty.
- Deadline for resubmitting (or mailing) a rejected extension that was originally e-filed by the April 15 deadline.
June 16, 2014
- Deadline for filing a 2013 personal return for U.S. citizens or residents living and working abroad (including military duty).
- Due date for second installment of 2014 estimated tax payments.
September 15, 2014
- Final deadline to file your 2013 corporation or S-corporation return, if you filed an extension before March 18.
- Due date for third installment of 2014 estimated tax payments.
October 15, 2014
- Final deadline to file your 2013 personal, partnership, or estates/trusts tax return if you filed an extension before April 16.
October 20, 2014
- Final deadline to resubmit a rejected 2013 return that was originally e-filed on or before October 15.
- If you're expecting a refund and miss the October 20 e-file cutoff date, you have until April 15, 2017 (October 16, 2017 if you filed an extension) to file a paper return and claim your 2013 refund.
- How do I file an extension (Form 4868) for my 2013 taxes?
- What if I missed the April 15 filing deadline?
- What if I can't pay my taxes?