Tax Year 2015 Calendar: Important Dates and Deadlines
Unless otherwise indicated, all deadlines are at 11:59:59 P.M. (one second before midnight) local time.
See also IRS Publication 509.
November 15, 2015
- Open enrollment for tax year 2016 begins at the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- The open enrollment period for tax year 2015 ended on March 15, 2015.
January 4, 2016
- The Intuit Electronic Filing Center begins accepting and holding ("stockpiling") 2015 tax returns that are final and able to be e-filed.
- The IRS starts processing stockpiled returns on January 19 (a few are processed up to a week earlier for testing purposes).
January 15, 2016
- Due date for fourth installment of 2015 estimated tax payments.
January 19, 2016
- The IRS starts processing previously stockpiled returns on a first-in, first-out basis.
- The IRS will run a small number of stockpiled returns through their systems up to a week before this date for testing purposes.
- If yours is one of them, please note that your tax refund (if any) will not be processed until after January 19.
February 15, 2016
- Open enrollment for tax year 2016 ends at the Health Insurance Marketplace.
March 15, 2016
- Deadline for filing a 2015 corporation or S corporation return or extension.
April 18, 2016 – why the 18th?
- Deadline for filing a 2015 personal, partnership, or calendar year estates/trusts tax returns or extension.
- The return or extension must be postmarked or transmitted for e-filing by Monday, April 18, 2016 (April 19 for Maine and Massachusetts residents).
- To avoid late payment penalties and interest, any additional taxes you owe must be paid by this date even if you filed an extension.
- Due date for first installment of 2016 estimated tax payments.
April 25, 2016
- Deadline for resubmitting or paper-filing a rejected federal return that was originally e-filed by the April 18 deadline if you did not file an extension.
- Note: Although the last day to resubmit a rejected return is October 20, the April 25 deadline applies to taxpayers who owe taxes and want to avoid the late-filing penalty.
- Deadline for resubmitting or paper-filing a rejected extension that was originally e-filed by the April 18 deadline.
June 15, 2016
- Deadline for filing a 2015 personal return for U.S. citizens or residents living and working abroad, including military duty.
- Due date for second installment of 2016 estimated tax payments.
September 15, 2016
- Final deadline to file your 2015 corporation, S corporation, or partnership tax return if you filed an extension.
- Due date for third installment of 2016 estimated tax payments.
September 30, 2016
- Final deadline to file your 2015 calendar-year estate/trust tax return if you filed an extension.
October 17, 2016
- Final deadline to file your 2015 personal or C corporation tax return if you filed an extension.
October 20, 2016
- Final deadline to resubmit a rejected return that was originally e-filed on or before October 17.
- If you're expecting a refund and miss the October 20 e-file cutoff date, you have until April 15, 2019 (October 15, 2019 if you filed an extension) to file a paper return and claim your 2015 refund.