Transfer last year's return to 2017 TurboTax for Windows
You can transfer last year's return from TurboTax (.tax2016 file).
You can also transfer a PDF of last year's return if you used other tax software.
We'll transfer over 100 fields that can help you get a head start on your return. They include:
- Personal information
- Social Security Number(s)
- Employer Information
- Other basic personal information
- Information contained in prior year returns that will affect the tax accuracy of this year's return
- Capital losses
- Disallowed deductions
- Credits carried over to subsequent years
- Schedule TurboTax information
Be aware that TurboTax does not transfer information that requires complex calculations, like depreciation.
If you successfully e-filed your return last year, we'll even transfer your e-file signature so you won't have to re-enter your AGI.
- Open TurboTax 2017 and choose Start a New Return from the TurboTax File
- Don't open an existing return by selecting Continue.
- When your 2016 tax file appears on the Good News screen, select it and click Transfer Return.
- If you don't see last year's tax file, select Browse and in the new window, select All Files (*.*) from the drop-down in the lower right corner. Then browse to wherever you stored your 2016 return and open it.
- If you still can't locate your return, it might be on another computer. We've got instructions on moving your return to a new computer.
- After the transfer is complete, check the screen for any special instructions. If none, select Continue.
- Now save your new tax file to ensure you don't lose any info and continue to follow the on-screen instructions,
- You'll also have a chance to review, edit, or delete transferred information later on.
Note that once you've gone past the Transfer screens, you can't revisit them. If you need to re-transfer, start fresh with a new return by following the steps above.
- On your Mac, find last year's tax file and copy it to a removable device like a thumb or flash drive.
- On your Windows computer, copy the tax file from the device to your desktop or My Documents.
- Rename the tax file by right-clicking it, choosing Rename, and adding a .tax2016 file name extension to it.
- Open TurboTax for Windows and select Start a New Return.
- TurboTax will search for 2016 tax return files on your computer and should find it. If not:
- Select Browse and go to where you saved the file in Step 2.
- Once located, select the file and click Open.
- Wait for TurboTax to finish transferring the information over.
You can then review transferred information and add, edit, or delete items as necessary.
If you have a copy of your 2016 Online return in .tax2016 data file format, follow the first set of instructions above.
If you don't:
- Go to TurboTax and start a 2017 Online return using the same login you used last year. This will transfer your 2016 data over.
- After the screen has loaded, select the Tax Tools drop-down menu in the left-hand column, and then select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select the Save your return to your computer.
Now, open the .tax2017 file (which contains the transferred 2016 info) in TurboTax for Windows:
- Open your TurboTax 2017 program.
- From the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
- Browse to where you saved the .tax2017 file, and then click Open.
- (Optional) Review, edit, or delete the transferred information.
If you used other tax software and you have a PDF of your return, we've got information and instructions on how to transfer your return.
If you have dependents, you'll need to revisit the dependent topic to ensure their info transferred correctly. You can revisit this by going to the My Info tab and selecting You & Your Family.