How do I move my tax data file to another computer?
Maybe you got a new computer for Christmas, or maybe you just need to move your tax return to a different computer.
Whatever you do, don't email it to yourself! Email is not secure.
Here's how to securely move it to your new computer while minimizing the chances of data corruption:
- First, make sure your new computer has TurboTax installed on it.
- Next, connect a thumb drive or other portable device to the old computer.
- Copy (preferred) or move your tax data file to the device.
- After copying, disconnect or eject the portable device and connect it to your new computer.
- Browse to the portable device, select your tax return file, drag it to your desktop (or other easy-to-find location), then release the mouse key and copy (don't move) the file.
- After copying, open TurboTax, browse to where you copied your tax file, and open it to make sure it didn't get corrupted.
- If your file somehow got corrupted, delete it from your device as well as your new computer and repeat these steps from the beginning.
- Otherwise, you're all set. You might want to delete the file from your portable device for security purposes.
- Find Your Tax Data File in Windows
- Find Your Tax Data File in Mac
- Retrieve a Tax File from a Portable Device