TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
2755 people found this useful

What is Form 1099-R?

Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. is used to report retirement benefit distributions (payments) from pensions, annuities, or other retirement plans.

You should receive a 1099-R if you received a distribution of $10 or more from your retirement plan.

In addition to distributions, Form 1099-R is used to report:

  • Conversions: Money moved from a traditional retirement plan to a Roth IRA.
  • Rollovers: Money moved from your retirement savings plan into another account.
  • Recharacterizations: This is when you reverse (undo) a rollover or conversion to a Roth IRA.

We'll use the information from your Form 1099-R to determine if your transaction is taxable and/or subject to any penalties.

Note: Form 1099-R is the most commonly-encountered retirement form, but there are a number of 1099-R "flavors", like: