Error: "TurboTax installation has encountered an unrecoverable error"
When attempting to install TurboTax for Windows, you may get the message TurboTax installation has encountered an unrecoverable error.
Possible causes include:
- Interference from security or backup software; or
- Damaged or missing fonts.
If disabling or closing all running programs didn't work, try restoring your fonts.
- Windows 7 or 8: Click here to open a PDF document with instructions and screenshots.
- Windows Vista or XP: Install the European Union Expansion Font Update by clicking here and following the directions.
If you still have problems, do this:
- Uninstall and then reinstall the .NET Framework.
- Install TurboTax.
- When you get to the installation screen How Do You Want to Get Updates? choose the third option I want to get updates on my own.
- You'll be able to initiate updates any time by choosing Check for Updates from the TurboTax Online menu.
- Should the message Error creating firewall rules appear, follow the procedure in the article Troubleshooting Problems with the Microsoft .NET Framework and then try installing again.
Finally, if you're still experiencing this error and you're trying to install from the CD, please contact us for further assistance.
To resolve this issue in TurboTax 2010:
- Click here to obtain the .NET Cleanup Tool and then click the "zipped folder" icon to download the tool. Save the zipped file on your desktop.
- Close all browser windows and programs.
- Double-click the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip file on your desktop to open it.
- In the opened .zip file, double-click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
- Windows XP: Clean up .NET 3.5 – .NET 3.0 – .NET 2.0, in that order.
- Windows Vista: Clean up .NET 3.5.
- Windows 7 or 8: From the Windows Start menu (Or the Metro UI in Windows 8), type cmd in the Search programs and files field and press Enter.
- In the black cmd.exe window, type sfc /scannow (include a space after sfc) and press Enter.
- Restart your computer, and then install TurboTax.
If the problem persists, you'll need to reinstall Windows Installer 4.5.