Error 1402: Could not open registry key
Error 1402 occurs when updating TurboTax:
Could not open key: key. System error error.
- You're not logged in as an administrator.
- An antivirus, anti-malware, firewall, desktop search or backup program is interfering with Windows Installer.
- A registry section or file is in use or locked by the system or a running program.
- You don't have enough free space on your hard disk(s).
- Registry key permissions are set incorrectly.
- The Windows Installer component is not installed correctly.
Follow these steps:
- Shut down and then restart your computer.
- Log in as a computer administrator.
- Temporarily turn off antivirus, anti-malware, firewall, desktop search, or backup programs that are running.
- Try installing TurboTax. If the error persists, download the Windows Installer.