Error 1321: Installer doesn't have permission
Error 1321 occurs when installing or updating TurboTax:
The Windows Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file [name of file]
Possible causes include:
- You're not logged in as an administrator.
- An anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, desktop search or backup program is interfering with Windows Installer.
- You don't have enough free space on your hard disk(s).
- File or folder permissions are set incorrectly.
- The Windows Installer component is not installed correctly.
- Restart your computer.
- Log in as a computer administrator.
- Exit all running programs including virus-protection and firewall programs.
- Clean up your hard drive, and then try installing or updating TurboTax.
- Re-enable your security software when finished.
If the above procedure fails and you're using Windows XP or Vista, download the latest Windows Installer.
Still having problems? Here are two more solutions you can try:
- Reset permissions; or
- Uninstall all versions of TurboTax on your system and then delete all the TurboTax folders in these locations:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\TurboTax
- C:\Program Files\TurboTax
- C:\Users\[Your username]\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax
- Windows XP: look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit
- C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax
- Windows XP: look in C:\Documents and Settings\[Your username]\Application Data\Intuit