Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes
You should receive a Form 1098-C from the charitable organization if you donated a motor vehicle, boat, or airplane to them. The Form 1098-C or charity statement should show:
- Box 4a is checked - The sale price you can use as your deduction is shown in box 4c if they sold the vehicle, or
- Box 5a is checked - Their intent to keep and use the vehicle for their charitable work or improve it. You can deduct the fair market value for the vehicle.
You'll need to send the IRS Copy B of this form when you e-file (or attach it to your return if you file a paper return) along with Form 8453 if the claimed value is $500 or more. If Copy B of Form 1098-C is required and you do not submit it, the IRS will disallow your deduction. TurboTax will guide you through printing and mailing this form.
Generally, the charity must furnish this form to you no later than 30 days after the date it sold the donated vehicle (if box 4a is checked), or 30 days after the date of the contribution (if box 5a or 5b is checked). If none of these boxes is checked, you must obtain this form by the due date (including extensions) of your tax return for the year of the contribution (or, if earlier, the date you file that return).
If you have yet to receive your 1098-C, contact the charity to confirm your donation and it's documentation.
If you file your return electronically:
- Print a paper copy of Form 8453 to file separately from your return, and
- Attach Copy B of Form 1098-C to the Form 8453, and
- Mail the Form 8453 with the Form 1098-C attached to the address provided in the filing instructions.
In turboTax, jump to the area to enter your Form 1098-C:
- Enter 1098-c in the TurboTax search box, then press the Enter key or click the jump to link.
- On the Donations to Charity screen, click Yes.
- Answer the questions, and
On the Choose a category for this donation screen, check the Car, boat, or airplane (may be reported on Form 1098-C line and click Continue.
- Describe your donation, and click Yes on the Form 1098-C or Statement screen.
- On the Tell Us About Your 1098-C screen, use your form to fill in the information.
After you've entered in your first donation, TurboTax will ask you if you need to add any additional donations. If you have multiple 1098-Cs, click on the Add Another Charity button below the list of charities and follow the prompts.