, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Although not as convenient as the automatic updates, manual updates are useful if you're unable to update your TurboTax CD/Download software from within TurboTax.
Manual updates also come in handy if your computer is having internet connection issues. See Updating from a Different Computer, below.
Click your version for complete instructions.
- TurboTax for Windows (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business)
- TurboTax for Mac (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business)
- TurboTax Business
- TurboTax State: We do not offer manual updates. Click here for options.
Note: Updates, whether manual or automatic, will not convert an older version of TurboTax to a newer one. Here's why.
Updating from a Different Computer
If the Internet connection on your home computer is slow, broken, or nonexistent, simply download your manual update from a different computer and then transfer the update to your home computer. Here's how:
- Attach a flash drive (or insert a CD that you can burn to) to a computer with a high-speed connection.
- Download the manual update and save it to the desktop.
- Copy the file to the flash drive (or burn it to the CD).
- Delete the file on the desktop and remove the flash drive or CD.
To install the update on the TurboTax computer:
- Insert the flash drive or CD into the computer.
- Look for the TurboTax "checkmark" icon on the flash drive or CD, and then copy it to your computer's desktop.
- On your desktop, double-click the TurboTax "checkmark" icon to begin the installation process.
Mac users: When the CD or flash drive mounts on your desktop, double-click its icon to view the contents. Double-click the TurboTax icon to mount it to your desktop, and then double-click the TurboTax icon on your desktop to install the update.