, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
To e-file your taxes, the IRS needs to verify your identity (and your spouse’s, if you're filing jointly) with a 5-digit Electronic Filing PIN.
Simply click here (or call 1-866-704-7388) to get your official PIN from the IRS's Electronic Filing Service.
The IRS will request a few pieces of information from last year's tax return for verification purposes. Once you've provided that, you'll get your 5-digit PIN so you can e-file your 2013 return. (You'll also need to request a separate PIN for your spouse if you're filing a joint return.)
Your assigned PIN can only be used to e-file your 2013 return, so there's no need to memorize it or write it down for next year.
What about the 6-digit IP PIN - is that the same thing?
No. The 6-digit Identity Protection PIN (or IP PIN) is only issued in cases of identity theft and is not related to the 5-digit Electronic Filing PIN.
What if I can't get a PIN through the IRS's Electronic Filing Service?
If you didn't file a 2012 return, you won't be able to get an Electronic Filing PIN, nor will you need one.
As you step through the e-filing screens, make sure you select the option that indicates you didn't file a 2012 return.
A less common reason you can't get a PIN is that your 2012 return was processed by the IRS after November 23, 2013. In that case, use the alternate AGI verification method.
What if the PIN I used last year doesn't work?
Last year's PIN most likely won't work with this year's return.
You'll need to get a new PIN from the IRS's Electronic Filing Service. Simply click here (or call 1-866-704-7388) to get your PIN.
What if my IRS-issued PIN keeps getting rejected?
If your return gets rejected for an incorrect PIN, here's a few suggestions:
- First, verify your PIN by requesting it again. Maybe you entered it wrong or wrote it down incorrectly?
- If you're positive that your PIN is correct, use the alternate AGI verification method.
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to talk to an agent. They can verify the 2012 filing information you need to get a valid PIN.
- Instead of e-filing, consider filing your return by mail.
- I need my 2012 AGI
- E-file rejection errors IND-031 or IND-032: The e-filing PIN or prior year AGI does not match