TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
3746 people found this useful

Can I get a copy of my tax return from the IRS?

When requesting your copy, you can choose either a tax return transcript, which is free, or an exact copy which costs $50 (the fee may be waived in Presidentially-declared disaster areas).

Tax return transcripts include most line items from the originally-filed Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040-EZ return. They're available back to 2012 and take 5-10 days to arrive in your mailbox.

Order your transcript online or by mail from the IRS Get Transcript website or by calling their toll-free number 1-800-908-9946.

Exact copies include your W-2s and all attachments, and are available back to 2009. To order, fill out Form 4506. Please allow up to 75 days for delivery.

Tip: Most lenders will accept a transcript in lieu of an exact copy, but it's best to double-check with your lender.

For more info about ordering tax returns from the IRS, see IRS Tax Topic 156