Form 2106 or 2106-EZ: Employee Business Expenses
What is form 2106?
Form 2106 is used if you can itemize your deductions and have unreimbursed employee expenses for travel, meals, entertainment, transportation (including use of your own car), or any other work-related expenses.
There is also a simple version of the form, Form 2106-AZ. You can use Form 2106-EZ if you did not receive any employer reimbursements for the expenses you claim, and if you are using the standard mileage rate for the use of your car.
These employee business deductions are considered miscellaneous expenses that are only deductible if all miscellaneous expenses exceed 2 percent of your adjusted gross income (AGI). If you can’t claim these expenses because of the AGI limitation, Form 2106 is not necessary.
Entering Form 2106 or 2106-EZ into TurboTax
If you've already gone through the TurboTax interview and want to jump directly to the entry screen for this topic, follow these steps:
- Select Federal Taxes (Personal in the Home & Business edition).
In Online TurboTax, click the bars at the upper left corner to show Federal Taxes on the selection list; enlarge the screen if needed to show the left side selection list.
- Select Deductions & Credits, and in the next screen, click I'll choose what I work on.
- Scroll down the Deductions & Credits screen until you see the Employment Expenses group.
- Click on the Start/Update button next to the Job-Related Expenses category.
- Follow the prompts.
For more about deducting employee expenses, see Employee expenses I can deduct.
- Can I Deduct My Employee Business Expenses on My Tax Return?
- Can I Deduct Mileage as an Employee?
- Schedule A, Itemized Deductions