, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Before you start, watch the helpful video below for an overview of the amending process.
Once you've watched the video, follow these steps to amend your federal and state returns to make a change or multiple changes to your return in TurboTax:
NOTE: Don't be alarmed when your refund monitors drop to $0. The previous amounts were from your original return.
Now that you’re amending, the number was intentionally reset to $0. As you enter your amend information, your refund (or amount owed) will change to accurately reflect the refund (or balance due) on your amended return.
- Your federal and state refund monitors should each display $0. (Exception: For a few states, the amount in the Refund Monitor won’t reset to $0, but the monitor will eventually update as you enter your amend information.)
- From this screen you can use the search feature to take you directly to the section in your return that you need to amend.
Search using the CD (desktop) or download product:
- In the top right-hand corner of the return, to the left of the Find button, type in a key word related to the change you need to make, for example "filing status" or "mortgage interest."
- Click on the appropriate selection and the program will take you to the screen where you can enter your changes.
When you make your changes your refund amount should no longer be zero.
Now amend your state return
- Even if it appears this change won’t affect your state taxes, you should go through the state return and answer any appropriate questions.
- If you don’t file a state return, go directly to the Wrap Up tab.
- If you do file a state return, click the State Taxes, then select Continue.
- Go through the state interview and answer any appropriate questions.
- Run State Review again.
- Click Done with states.
Now you should be ready to finish amending your return.
- Once you've clicked on Done with States, you should be taken to the Wrap Up tab.
- You’ll go through one final error check to make sure your return is ready to file.
- If you get to screen that says, Let’s Check These Entries, click Check Entries.
- You could get a message telling you that amended returns can’t be e-filed. You’ll probably get the same message for your state return.
- If these are the only “errors” you get, you can click the button that says Continue with Errors.
- Print your return.
- Click Done.
- The program will print all necessary forms and the addresses where you should mail them.