Running the Windows System File Checker
Microsoft's System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) troubleshoots missing and corrupted Windows system files. You can use this tool to check for underlying system issues if you're having problems installing or running TurboTax.
The System File Checker finds and attempts to repair missing and corrupted Windows files.
- Access the Command Prompt.
- Windows Vista/7: Click the Start button, then All Programs, then Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as administrator. If you are asked for a password, enter it. If asked to confirm, click Allow.
- Windows XP: Click Start and then Run.
- Windows 8: Right-click the Start button, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type SFC /SCANNOW and press Enter.
- After the verification is complete, which may take several minutes, restart your computer and then try installing or running TurboTax again.
If the System File Checker fails to repair a file, see this article on Microsoft's support site.