, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Importing your information from QuickBooks saves time and minimizes data entry errors. However, please note that:
- TurboTax Business 2013 only imports from CD/Download software versions of QuickBooks 2008–2014.
- TurboTax Business will not import directly from QuickBooks Online; however, you can convert your online file to the software version, then import.
- TurboTax Business 2013 will not import data if QuickBooks is running in Multi-Instance mode.
Get ready to import
Also make sure that:
- QuickBooks is installed on the same computer and the same drive that TurboTax is installed on.
- The QuickBooks data should be on your local drive, not on the network.
- You've entered all your financial information into QuickBooks before importing your file.
- QuickBooks is registered. Click here for instructions.
- QuickBooks is in single-user mode.
- The QuickBooks company file (.qbw extension) should have been opened at least once on the computer you're using to import. You do not need to leave the .qbw file open.
How to import
- Open your return in TurboTax Business.
- On the Business Info tab in TurboTax, click QuickBooks right below it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish importing your data.
If you're having problems importing in Windows Vista, turn on User Account Control.
Can I update or delete imported info?
You can, but then the information in your tax return may no longer match the original data source in QuickBooks. This may cause confusion down the road, for example if you are audited and have to recall why the information you entered differs from the original.
Instead of changing imported information, it's usually better to update the information in QuickBooks before importing.
If you've already imported, you can re-import the information after you've updated it in QuickBooks (be sure to select the replace option when prompted).
I see my company in the QuickBooks files list; why won't it import?
Two possible reasons:
- The business entity you selected in TurboTax doesn't match the type of business you selected in QuickBooks; or
- You may not have assigned tax lines to your accounts in QuickBooks. For help with tax lines, try searching for Assign Tax Lines in your QuickBooks in-product Help, or visit the QuickBooks Support site.
Why don't my expenses and Balance Sheet data appear when I select "Review QuickBooks"?
When information is missing from your review, it's probably because tax lines weren't assigned to your accounts in QuickBooks. In order for TurboTax to import your information, tax lines need to be assigned to all of your accounts. For help with tax lines, try searching for Assign Tax Lines in your QuickBooks in-product Help, or visit the QuickBooks Support site.
Why didn't any of my asset information import from QuickBooks?
Individual asset information does not import from QuickBooks to TurboTax. You will need to enter this information manually.
I'm having questions or problems with my QuickBooks program. Where do I go for help?
Please visit the QuickBooks Support site at support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support.