, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Before you begin, watch the video below for step-by-step guidance.
Once you've watched the video, please follow these steps to amend your federal and state returns to add, change or remove a dependent inTurboTax.
- Your federal and state refund monitors should each display zero.
- You should now be on a screen that says Your Dependents and Qualifying Persons Summary, or if you didn't have a dependent in your original return, you will be brought to a screen that asks if you have any children or other dependents.
- You can now choose to make your change for your situation, such as adding, editing or deleting a dependent on your return.
- Once you've answered all the questions for your situation, click Continue.
- If you have finished making changes in the dependents section, click Done.
- You might notice that the refund monitors no longer display zero.
IMPORTANT: When adding or editing a dependent exemption you should go through the Deductions & Credits section again, to claim any tax breaks related to your dependents.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab in Home & Business product).
- Then choose Deductions & Credits, to review whether you qualify for the Earned Income Credit (EIC), the Child and Dependent Care credit, Adoption credit or Child Tax credit.
- Also go through the Education section to check for education deductions or credits, and student loan interest deduction.
- Answer the questions specific to your situation.
- When finished, click Done.
Now amend your state return
- Even if it appears this change won’t affect your state taxes, you should go through the state return and answer any appropriate questions.
- If you don’t file a state return, go directly to the Wrap Up tab.
- If you do file a state return, click the State Taxes, then select Continue.
- Go through the state interview and answer any appropriate questions.
- Run State Review again.
- Click Done with states.
Now you should be ready to finish amending your return.
- Once you've clicked on Done with States, you should be taken to the Wrap Up tab.
- You’ll go through one final error check to make sure your return is ready to file.
- If you get to screen that says, Let’s Check These Entries, click Check Entries.
- You could get a message telling you that amended returns can’t be e-filed. You’ll probably get the same message for your state return.
- If these are the only “errors” you get, you can click the button that says Continue with Errors.
- Print your return.
- Click Done.
- The program will print all necessary forms and the addresses where you should mail them.
New! 3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking its progress at the newly-launched IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.