, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
In TurboTax Business, you can either e-file or mail your federal Corporation (Form 1120), S Corporation (Form 1120-S), or Partnership (Form 1065) tax return for tax years 2011 through 2013. There is no additional charge for e-filing.
Estate & Trust returns (Form 1041) and Homeowner's Association returns (Form 1120-H) cannot be e-filed; they must be mailed.
If you choose to e-file, you'll need a printer and a scanner to create a PDF copy of Form 8453, which you'll need to send to the IRS. We'll walk you through this process when you get ready to e-file.
Note: If you don't have a scanner, you can use a digital camera to take a picture of Form 8453 (starting in TurboTax Business 2013).
Filing Your Federal Return in TurboTax Business
- Open your tax return if it's not already open.
- Click the File tab.
- Continue to the Select Filing Method screen. Here, you can choose to either file by mail or e-file.
- Click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
If you're filing by mail
- The Instructions for Filing included with your printout will tell you where to mail your return.
- Leave the forms in the order in which they were printed.
- Don't forget to sign your return!
- After signing, make a copy of the return for your records. You can print a hard copy and/or save a soft copy of your tax return.
If you're e-filing
- Shortly after transmitting your return, you'll get a confirmation e-mail from the Intuit Electronic Filing Center.
- If your return did not transmit, try again or see our troubleshooting steps.
- Within 24-48 hours after transmission, you should get a second e-mail confirming acceptance or rejection of your e-filed return.
- If accepted, follow the onscreen instructions to print a copy for your records.
- If rejected, follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error and then re-transmit your return, or print and mail your return instead.
Filing Your State Return in TurboTax Business
To prepare your Business state return, start by clicking the State Taxes tab and following the onscreen instructions. You'll be prompted to purchase and download your state program(s) online, if you haven't already done so.
Note: TurboTax Business supports many, but not all, business state entities. Click here for the list of unsupported states.
When you get ready to file your state return, be aware that a growing number of states require that you e-file business returns, whereas other states do not support e-filed business returns. Your TurboTax program will let you know which method(s) are available, or you can click here for the list of "e-fileable" states.
The procedure for filing state returns in TurboTax Business is identical to the federal filing procedure outlined above; simply click the File tab and follow the on-screen instructions.