TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1149 people found this useful

How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?

An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, which are due April 18 (June 15 for taxpayers out of the country). But even if you can't pay your taxes by the deadline, file an extension anyway so you can avoid the late-filing penalty.

You'll be able to e-file your IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online starting March 17. There are 2 ways to get there:

  1. If your online return is already open, search for extend or extension (make sure the spelling is exact!) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
    • Then, on the Need More Time to File Your Return? screen, click the Start Easy Extension button and follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension request.
  2. Or, go to the Easy Extension website, sign in with your TurboTax account login, and follow the onscreen instructions to prepare and e-file your extension.

A third option is to paper-file your extension by downloading Form 4868 from the IRS website, printing it out, completing it, and mailing it in. Complete instructions are on the printout.