How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?
IRS extensions for tax year 2017 must be filed on or before these deadlines:
- April 18, 2018 for domestic taxpayers.
- June 15, 2018 for taxpayers outside the country.
It's not possible to file a post-deadline extension.
Keep in mind: An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes--but it will keep you from getting a late filing penalty. (You'll still owe interest if you pay after the deadline.)
Here's how to e-file your IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online:
- Open your return in TurboTax Online.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the Take me to my return button.)
- Select File an extension at the bottom of the column on the left side of the screen.
- If you don't see the File an extension button in Step 2 above, search for "extend" and then select the "Jump to" link at the top of your search results. Now follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension.
Note: If you're paying additional taxes owed with direct debit, you'll need to provide your 2016 AGI for verification purposes (if you didn't file a 2016 return, enter 0 as your AGI).
If you don't have your AGI, or your extension gets rejected for the wrong AGI, here are 2 options:
- Recommended: Pay your taxes at IRS Direct Pay (this also automatically gives you an extension).
- Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before 11:59 PM April 18. (June 15 if you were out of the country on the deadline) Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.