TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1599 people found this useful

How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?

IRS extensions for tax year 2017 must be filed before these deadlines:

• April 17, 2018 for domestic taxpayers.
  • June 15, 2018 for taxpayers outside the country.

It's not possible to file a post-deadline extension.

An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, which are due April 17 (June 15 if you were out of the country on the deadline).

But even if you can't pay your taxes by the deadline, file an extension to avoid the late-filing penalty.

Here's how to e-file your IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online.
  2. Click My TurboTax at upper left, then choose Easy Extension.
    • Mobile devices: Tap the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap Easy Extension right under My TurboTax.
    • Don't see "My TurboTax"? Try searching for extend at upper right, then click or tap the "Jump to" link at the top of your search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension.

Note: If you're paying additional taxes owed with direct debit, you'll need to provide your 2016 AGI for verification purposes (if you didn't file a 2016 return, enter 0 as your AGI).

If you don't have your AGI, or your extension gets rejected for the wrong AGI, here are 2 options:

1. Recommended: Pay your taxes at IRS Direct Pay (this also automatically gives you an extension).
  2. Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before midnight April 17. (June 15 if you were out of the country on the deadline) Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.

GEN12483