TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1172 people found this useful

How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?

An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, which are due April 18 (June 15 if you were out of the country on the deadline).

But even if you can't pay your taxes by the deadline, file an extension to avoid the late-filing penalty.

You'll be able to e-file your IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online starting March 20:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax Online.
  2. Click My TurboTax at upper left, then choose Easy Extension.
    • Mobile devices: Tap the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap Easy Extension right under My TurboTax.
    • Don't see "My TurboTax"? Try searching for extend at upper right, then click or tap the "Jump to" link at the top of your search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension.

Two more ways to file an extension:

  1. Go directly to the Easy Extension website, sign in with your TurboTax account, and follow the onscreen instructions to prepare and e-file your extension.
  2. Paper-file your extension by printing Form 4868 from the IRS website, filling it out, and mailing it in. Complete mailing instructions are on the printout.