TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
640 people found this useful

I still don't have my W-2

Your employer is required by law to mail out your W-2 by January 31. The IRS asks you to wait until February 15 for your W-2 to arrive in the mail. Until then, you can try importing your W-2.

If your employer doesn't support W-2 import, contact them to find out if your W-2 was mailed and to which address. They may be able to send out a replacement. 

Please note that your year-end paystub is NOT an appropriate substitute for your W-2 unless you're filing Form 4852. Why not?

Tip: If your employer has since gone out of business, contact the U.S. Postal Service and complete a form to request the employer's forwarding address. Once you get this information, send them a certified letter requesting your W-2.

February 15 has passed and still no W-2. Now what?

If you've exhausted all your options with your employer, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Have your last paystub handy. The IRS will ask you a few questions and will then contact your employer.

In the meantime, you can either continue waiting for your W-2 or file your return using Form 4852: Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement.

Please note that if you choose the latter (Form 4852), you will not be able to e-file and you may need to amend your return if your W-2 or W-2C differs from your estimate.

To file with Form 4852:

  1. In your TurboTax program, search for W-2 (upper or lower case, with or without the dash) to get to the W-2 entry screen.
  2. Fill out the W-2 entry screen as best you can using the information from your last paystub. When finished, click Continue at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Continue answering any questions that come up.
  4. When you get to the Do Any of These Apply to This W-2? screen, select the checkbox I did not receive a W-2 and need to complete a substitute form near the bottom.
    • Select any other checkbox(es), if any, that apply to your W-2 before clicking Continue.
  5. Eventually you'll come to a screen which will ask if you want to complete Form 4852 for wages paid. Answer Yes and carefully follow the onscreen instructions.

See this IRS video for more info about missing W-2s:

Related Information: