TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
640 people found this useful

It's February and I still don't have my W-2

Employers are required to mail out W-2s no later than January 31. The IRS asks you to wait until February 15 for your W-2 to arrive.

In the meantime, contact your employer or their payroll provider. You can also try importing your W-2. Don't file your return using your last paystub. Why not?

What if it's past February 15 and I still don't have it?

If you've exhausted all your options with your employer, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Have your last paystub handy. The IRS will ask you a few questions and will then contact your employer.

In the meantime, you can either continue waiting for your W-2 or file your return using with estimated numbers using Form 4852: Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement.

Please note that if you choose to file a 4852, you won't be able to e-file and you might have to amend your return later on.

To file with Form 4852:

1. In your TurboTax program, search for W-2 (upper or lower case, with or without the dash) and then click Jump to W-2 in the search results to get to the W-2 entry screen.
  2. Fill out your W-2 as best you can using the information from your last paystub.
  3. When finished, proceed through the interview. Eventually you'll get to the Do Any of These Apply to This W-2? screen.
    • Check the box I did not receive a W-2 and need to complete a substitute form near the bottom.
    • Check any other box(es) that apply to your W-2 (if any) before clicking Continue.
  4. Eventually you'll come to a screen which will ask if you want to complete Form 4852 for wages paid. Answer Yes and carefully follow the onscreen instructions.

This IRS video has more info about missing W-2s:

Related Information:

GEN12431