Can I use TurboTax to update my W-4?
You can update your W-4 in TurboTax if you haven't filed your 2016 return yet.
If you already filed for 2016, we'll show you another way to change your W-4.
Tip: The W-4 feature inside the TurboTax software minimizes your refund, putting more money in your paycheck. If your goal is a bigger refund, follow the directions in the after filing section, below.
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax, if you don't already have it open.
- Inside TurboTax, search for W-4 or W4 (lower-case also works) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Answer Yes to Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2017?
- Follow the onscreen instructions to verify your info and provide estimates of your future income.
- Eventually, you'll come to the Print Form W-4 Results screen (about 16 or 17 screens in). From here, you can print your W-4.
- Print (or make) another copy; give one to your payroll department and keep the other with your tax records.
You'll need your most recent paystub.
- Go to the TurboTax W-4 Withholding Calculator.
- Proceed through the screens, answering questions about your family status, pay, and deductions.
- When you get to the Results screen, move the slider (under Congratulations!) to see how different withholding allowances affect your refund and take-home pay.
- Once you've settled on an allowance, click or tap Print a blank W-4 and enter that number on line 5 of the W-4 (bottom half of page 1).
- Fill out lines 1 – 3 (and 4, if it applies) on the W-4, print it out, and sign and date it.
- Make a copy for your tax records and give the printout to your employer.