, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
TurboTax for iPad supports file sharing through iTunes. This means you can create your 2013 tax return in TurboTax for iPad then copy your .tax file to your computer, as a back-up after you have e-filed, or to continue preparing your return there.
If you are looking to save a PDF of your tax return to your computer, please click here.
Note: TurboTax for iPad only supports transferring data from tax year 2012 and 2013 versions. TurboTax for iPad 2013 does not support transferring data from tax year 2011 or earlier.
File Sharing Requirements
To transfer, then access, your tax return on your iPad or your computer, you need:
- An iPad running iOS 6.1 or later.
- The TurboTax for iPad app installed on the device
- A USB cable to connect your iPad to your computer
- A Mac or Windows computer with the following installed software:
- iTunes 10.1.1 or later (to support TurboTax for iPad file sharing)
- Mac: OS X 10.6.8 or later and TurboTax 2013 - CD/Download for Mac
- Windows: Windows XP, Vista , 7, or 8 and TurboTax 2013 - CD/Download for Windows
- For more information see the system requirements for TurboTax 2013.
Export Your Tax Return for Transfer to Your Computer
- On the Home screen (Manage Returns), tap the Export icon.
- In the pop-down dialogue box select Backup to iTunes.
- In the Exporting Files dialog box, tap OK.
- In the Tax Return Exported dialog box, tap OK.
- Connect your iPad to your computer with the USB cable.
- On your computer, launch iTunes.
- In iTunes, under Devices (left-hand menu), select your iPad.
- Select the Apps button (top row).
- Scroll down to the File Sharing section.
- In the Apps column, click on TurboTax 2013.
- Under TurboTax 2013 Documents, your exported tax return will appear.
- Select your tax return and click Save to.
- In the window, select where you want to save your tax file on your computer.
If you want to delete this return on your iPad in iTunes, select the file from the iTunes list and press the Delete key.
To delete the file off your iPad, simply select it on the Home screen and press the trash can icon.